Chapter 9 The Whispering Mind

Yells from the corridor; sudden footsteps. Black enters the isolation room adjacent from Mystic's imprisonment. Black looks into the two-way mirror and examines what she has been up to these days. The head nurse moves over to Black and says, "Dr. Black, she has been out of her straps for a week now and all she does is pace back and forth." Black says, "Interesting." The nurse goes on to say, "Sometimes she goes to the mirror and begins to talk to it like it is a person and then she walks the length of it." Black looks at the two monitors in front of him and again he says, "Interesting." Another nurse starts to say, "At times, she is very aggressive and jumps up and runs toward the mirror with her body as if she is trying to hurt herself on purpose." Black looks to the head nurse and asks, "Have you has a break, lately?" Oddly, the nurse looks at him inquisitive and says, "No, not of lately."

Black instructs everyone in the room to go take an hour break and without a word, everyone gets up as if robots and obeys his command. Once he is alone, Black picks up the only phone in the room and summons the shrink that Mystic has only seen for a time now. Just as the nurses leave, the shrink appears. Black doesn't like to be kept waiting; a flaw to which no one wants to see, happen. The shrink says, "Yes, Dr. Black, you wanted to see me?" Black, says 'as he has his pointer finger on his lips,' "go into the Mystic's room and as ask her the usual questions, her name, what her childhood was like, where she is now and my favorite, current events."

A very panic-stricken and a deep shallow of a man, the shrink orders his orderlies to go in first to make sure she is secure enough for him to proceed into the room. As calm water is to a cool pool, Black and the shrink wait patiently as to what Mystic will do as the orderlies slowly enter the room of her domain. The orderlies open the door to short but loud "SCREECH!" Mystic is mindful of the sound of the door. Mystic does not make a move as if waiting on something to happen. Sure enough as soon as the orderlies were a half foot away from her; she jumped up and leaped over the first orderly and heading for the door.

The second orderly is well aware of what Mystic is capable of but did not give her a second thought when he went to grab her and hold her down but she had other plans. Mystic punched him in nose causing instant blood; which knocked him backwards on the floor. Black instantly pushed the button on the panel in the other room that closed the door quickly if such things happened.

Mystic hitting the door panel hard only to shake her for a bit and now the orderlies are stuck in the room with her. Mystic moves to the front of the mirror and starts to throw her body weight to it as she is trying to break the glass. The first orderly tries to run for the door and the shrink goes to push the button and Black pushes him aside and says, "Are you out of your freaking mind, she'll get out!" The shrink yells back at Black, "My Orderlies?" Black says, "Fuck your orderlies, if she gets out I am holding you personally responsible!"

As the two doctors' arguments continue; the shrink accidently lays on the button to the door. Mystic hears muffled words and heightened voices. Mystic thinks, 'Here's my chance!'

The door starts to seep open just enough for Mystic to get out while the orderlies are trying to get up. Mystic leaps into action darting for the door again. She gets two steps away and another orderly grabs onto her foreleg. Beads of sweat are mounting on her forehead to get to the door to freedom but that same orderly does not give up.

She turns toward him and 'WHACK!' She kicks him in the head one good time and he falls back. Back to the door, she grabs onto the doorknob and the other orderlies' knocks her down with a stiff blow to her kidneys. Pain inflicts her backside, Mystic falls down to the floor with a great 'THUD!' Her head hits the ground so hard a few tears fall from her eyes. An orderly rushes over to her to see if she is still breathing; she is. The door opens just enough to get two chairs in one for Mystic and one for the shrink. Again an orderly checks her; this time for her vital signs and pulse; all good.