20: Meeting

My heart was pounding in my chest. I could hear each thump in my ears, it was deafening. I was standing at the entrance of the park. It was 8:57am.

I pushed my sunglasses up and readjusted the hood on my head. I hated disguises but this morning when I landed I had been bombarded by a couple hundred fans. I didn't want anyone noticing me while I met Matt so I wore sunglasses and my hood up. My face was covered for the most part.

I checked my watch again. 8:58am. It was now or never.

I walked down the pathway that led through the park. Matt had said to meet her by the pond but I had no idea where that was. I wanted to stop and ask someone but I didn't want to risk being noticed so I just continued walking.

I spotted the pond up ahead and thanked god that I didn't have to ask anyone. I slowed my walking and took some deep breaths. I spotted a girl sitting on a bench right beside the pond. I didn't want to assume it was her but she kept looking around as if she were expecting someone so I assume its her.

I walked up behind her and cleared my throat. She turned and looked at me and I almost collapsed. She was even more beautiful in person.

"Can I help you?" she asked when I didn't say anything.

I cleared my throat again and spoke quietly to try and mask my british accent.

"Is this seat taken?" I gestured to the end of the bench. She glanced around and then checked the time on her phone. Then she sighed.

"No, I guess not." 

I sat down and it fell silent. 

We both stared out at the rather large pond. There were a few ducks swimming around.

"Are you expecting someone?" I almost whispered I was talking so quietly.

"I am but I don't know if he's going to show.." she looked around again. "He was supposed to be here almost 10 minutes ago."

"I'm sure he's close." I said, still watching the ducks.

"Maybe.." she trailed off.

I smiled and couldn't help myself as I mumbled, "or maybe its maybaline."

I was still looking straight but I seen her look over at me out of the corner of my eye. She looked like she was thinking but she didn't say anything. I don't know if she heard what I had actually said or if she just heard my voice.

"So.." she crossed her legs and watched the ducks. "do you usually sit next to strangers or was the other bench too far of a walk?"

She raised her hand and gestured to another bench that was only a few feet away. I felt my cheeks redden but I played it off.

"Which one sounds less creepy?"

"I would say the one where its too far of a walk."

"Then its too far of a walk." I smiled, talking with my normal voice now.

She laughed and so did I. 

"But I also usually sit next to strangers." I added in a playful tone. She laughed again and I felt myself start to relax around her.

"That sounds a little more creepy." she laughed.

"Maybe." I shrugged with a smile.

"Or maybe its maybaline."

My eyes widened a bit and I opened my mouth to say something but nothing would come out.

"Yes, I heard you say that two minutes ago." she looked at me. "And I know you're Harry. And I understand if you were afraid to say you were Harry when you first approached me."