Chapter One - The Surprise Call

The Surprise Call

Lauren's POV

Chicago. Only one of the coldest places my mother could have decided to move to when I was three. I had grown up here, and I loved it. It was great for sightseeing and for taking photos, and that was what I was best at. 

For my 15th birthday, my mother had gotten me a professional camera. Over the past 10 years, I had gotten two new cameras, and I took more photos than anybody in this town. It was what I loved to do, and it was the greatest thing.

I had had a few professional jobs now, working with some unknown musicians here in Chicago, but nothing too big. It was fun though, getting to go to the gigs the performers had and meeting all the new people. 

"Lauren!" A yell came from outside my door.

"What?" I questioned as I groaned and rolled over in my bed.

The door opened to reveal my 16 year old sister Lacy, a smile on her face.

"Mom told me to ask you if you could give me a ride to the movies in a little bit. I'm meeting some friends." she said.

"Yeah, just let me get ready." I said as I pulled the covers back, swinging my legs over the bed and stretching. 

"Thanks." She said happily as she turned and walked across the hall to her room, closing my door behind her.

I had taught her well. I always got mad when someone didn't  shut my door after they left. It was just something that always got on my nerves. 

I got up and showered, doing my hair quickly before getting dressed and slipping on my Vans. I grabbed my car keys and headed out of my room, knocking on my sister's door as I passed it.

"Let's go Lacy." I said before heading down the steps.

She followed only seconds later, stumbling as she attempted to put her shoes on the way down the steps. I grabbed a water from the fridge and an apple from the kitchen counter before heading for the main hall. I slipped on my jacket and a scarf before opening the front door. Lacy followed right behind me, knowing I was always fast moving. 

"Which movie theater?" I questioned as I unlocked the door on the driver's side of my car.

"The one at the mall." she replied as she got in the passenger's side.

"Do you need money?" I asked.

"Do you have a 20 to spare?" She questioned.

"Yeah, just remind me when we get there." I said as I pulled out of the driveway.

Lacy and I always got along. Most sisters wouldn't, but our age gap and similarities helped out. I'm 9 years older than her, and we like all the same music. We always go to concerts together, and we have a lot of fun. 

"So, any new gigs coming up?" Lacy asked with a smile.

"Not yet. I applied for a few, but I haven't heard back yet." I responded.

"You know, I heard Macklemore was looking for a new photographer for tour." She said with a grin.

"Yeah right. I could never get that job." I said as I focused on the road.

"It'd be cool if you did though." She said.

"Well yeah, it'd be cool, but it's not going to happen." I said.

When we finally pulled up to the mall twenty minutes later, I gave Lacy $20 and told her to call when she needed a ride. She agreed before saying thank you and heading inside. Just as I was about to head back home, I decided I wanted to grab a few things from the mall, so I drove across the street and parked.