Chapter 12-Photograph

Ryan's POV 

"Ryan, wake up." I voice said softly in my ear early the next morning.

I shifted under the covers only to have Bree soon come into my line of vision. 

"Morning." I said groggily.

"Morning. We've got to get everything packed up so we don't miss our flight." She said as she walked towards her things.

We were flying back to America today, Pennsylvania to be exact, so that we would be near Bree's family when she went into labor. She had asked me to come with her which had surprised me seeing as I wasn't even the father. 

"You don't have to go if you don't want to. I know you might feel uncomfortable around my family." She trailed.

"Well it's not like I've ever met them. I guess now is a better time than never." I responded as I stood from the bed. 

"I guess." She said as she continued packing.

As I packed, I continued to think about why she had really asked me to go. I was sure that Ben had met her family and she'd rather have him there.

We hadn't talked much about who would act as a father to the baby who was due any day now. I just assumed that Bree would make the decision when the time came.

"Why didn't you ask Ben to go?" I questioned suddenly, not realizing I had said it until it was too late.

"I just thought it was a better idea to have you go seeing as you're probably going to be the babies father figure. I mean, Ben has Lauren now so he can't exactly just be with both of us and raise the child. I mean if you don't want to go, you don't have to." She said, not even looking at me but continuing to pack.

I let out a sigh before walking towards here, standing directly behind her, placing my hands on her waist and setting my chin on her shoulder.

"You know I'd do anything for you, and if you want me to be the one to go, I'll go." I said. 

"Thank you." She said as she turned a bit and smiled.

"You're welcome." I said as I placed a kiss on her cheek.

An hour later, we were at the airport and checking our baggage in. As we proceeded to security check, Bree's grip on my hand that she had been holding tightened.

"Bree? What is it?" I asked in concern.

She looked straight ahead of us, a familiar face in her line of view. One that I surely didn't want to see, especially since the last time I had been face to face with them, things would've gotten ugly if it weren't for Alison.

"Just ignore him. Keep walking." I said as I kept her close and kept moving.

But I had spoke too soon. He saw us, giving a slight grin knowing it was us, but he didn't say anything. Just gave a wave and stayed in his spot.

"What's he doing here?" Bree asked.

"I don't know, but I don’t want to ask either. I'm keeping my distance." I replied. 

We made it through security and to our gate with time to spare. And with a long flight ahead of us, I wasn't quite sure if I could stand the thoughts of his face in my mind. 

"Honestly, Kyle of all people." I said as I sat down next to Bree at the gate, handing her a Chai Latte from Starbucks.

"Are you okay? I mean you haven't really mentioned Alison, and you did earlier." Bree asked, concern lacing her voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine. At least I will be after a little bit. Seeing him is hard. Knowing the pain he put her through. It hurts me thinking about it." I responded as I sipped at my drink. 

Hours later as we landed in Philadelphia, we were greeted by Bree's mother who I had yet to meet. 

"Hello, I'm Ryan." I said as I reached out to shake her hand.

"Tracy. It's nice to finally meet you Ryan. Bree's been talking about you and Ben for ages now." She said with a warm smile.

I let out a chuckle as I noticed Bree blushing. She was so cute. 

"Good things I hope." I responded.

"Oh, of course. Never a bad word said." She said, "Now come on. Let's get you two to the house. And Bree, I hope you don't mind, Brent has been staying at the house for a few weeks. He came home to visit and didn't want to stay with his parents so I told him he could stay at your place seeing as it is plenty big enough."

"Oh, yeah. I guess that's fine." She said as she looked down at her feet. 

She had never mentioned a Brent before, so I wasn't quite sure who he was.

"Brent?" I questioned.

"An old boyfriend. We dated in high school. It didn't quite work out." Bree said, still not looking up.

"What happened?" I asked.

"It just didn't work out. Let's leave it at that." She said.

"Which is surprising seeing as all they could talk about before was spending the rest of their lives together." Tracy said.

"Mom, stop." Bree sighed as we reached the car.

"Sorry." She said as she unlocked the doors. 

Bree and I climbed in the back of the car and she fell asleep almost instantly, which was weird seeing as she didn't ever fall asleep in the car. 

It was two hours until we reached Bree's house. She had bought a new one when her mom had moved a few months back. She hadn't been there much though, seeing as she was with Ben and I for the majority of time.

When we got there, I woke Bree up and we got out things before saying goodbye to her mother for the night. She was going back to her own house a few minutes up the road. When we entered the house, I looked around in utter surprise that the place looked quite empty.

"I haven't realy been here to decorate much." Bree said as she noticed my surprise.

"I see that." I said.

The TV in the living room was making noise, so we assumed that Brent was still up. When we entered, he was sat playing video games.

"Portal? Honestly, you'll never change." Bree said as she sat her bags down in the doorway.

"Bree." He said before pausing the game and getting up to look at her.

"You should've called." She sighed.

"I know. I'm sorry, I just figured you'd be busy and I'd be the last person you'd want to hear from." He said.

"You know that will never be true. I always love hearing from you, it's just a shame everything didn't work out the way we wanted it to." She said.

"I know." He said as he looked down at the floor.

"Oh, how rude of me. Brent this is Ryan, Ryan this is Brent." Bree introduced us.

"Nice to meet you." We both said as we shook hands.

"I think I'm going to go up and go to bed, it's a bit late. We'll catch up in the morning Brent. It's nice to see you." Bree said before taking my hand and heading for the steps.

"Goodnight." Brent said as we walked out of the room.

As we walked up the steps to Bree's room, I noticed a few pictures hanging on the wall. One of her family, one of her and who I assumed to be her brother, and then multiple of her and who I now knew as Brent. There was something more to them than what she was letting on. A lot more.

Who was this Brent, and should I be worried about him?