Just like mummy showed me...

Madeleine. A name which means "tower of strength". Perhaps my father knew. The pain, suffering, and lies I would have to live.

Madeleine. The name of  Grandmother. My Greatgrandmother. And my great greatgrandmother all were given. The reason my mother was not given this name I do not understand. Perhaps my grandmother knew who she was going to marry, what he was going to be, and what her grandchild would become. The fear that coursed through her veins that night at the hospital mustve been the same when my grandmother had realized all this. That she would  out live her own daughter. That her daughter was not capable of handling what was to come in her future.

She knew. She knew all to well my mother could not posses the name.

Because... she was not strong enough,  to make that name known.

Madeleine. A young girl born with a extrondinary gift on December 25th, 1997. A young girl born into a wonderful family, whom she would not get to know.

Madeleine? The nurse had repeated to my mother. That was the name I was to be given. I remember that time. I remember looking up at my grandmother.  She smiled at me, such pride I could see in her eyes. But then, she look at my mother, her face filled quickly to disappointment. It was not because of me. it was not because of my older brother. Her disappointment was clearly all towards  my mother. That's how it always was and would be.

On my first birthday, my mother and father were away somewhere. Me and my brother were staying with my grandmother. She would tells us stories of her childhood, or of fairy tales. She would play with my brother and then send him off to bed. But she and I would think of things in life.

You see. I was born with a gift, one my grandmother also posses. At the placement of my hand to anyone's cheek, I could pull memories.  Memories of theirs from their childhood,  or from the present, things from my childhood. I could even manipulate memories, etc. My grandmother knew that this extraordinary gift had to be protected. because there were bad people who would use me for it.

She tried her hardest to protect me...

It was my third birthday. My mother was in the kitchen preparing dinner, and my father was running late from work. I was laying on the couch watching my 8 year old brother play with his trains. Listening to him say one day he would ride the largest and fanciest train there is. Then he would exclaim that he wouldn't just ride it, he would drive it.

We always did this.

He would go on and on saying one day he would do something that no one in their right mind would do, and I would sit their and listen. Dreaming of us doing such things, what it would be like. 

Although this occasion was different.  He was going on and on about trains, when I heard a voice calling my name.

"what" i asked my brother, figuring it was just him trying to get me to pay attention.  But he just looked up at me.

"I didn't say your name. " I was only 3. only my imagination. But then I heard it again. It was a soft lurring whisper calming my name.

"Madeleine.... come to me"  I knew I had heard it that time. I looked down at my brother who was busy with his trains. I caught a small glimpse of my mother in the kitchen working away. I looked around and eventually I caught a shadow outside. I slid off the couch and ran to the screen doors.

"did ya see dat danny?"

"I didn't see anything maddie." my brother said, obviously to busy to care.

I stared out the window, fully awake. shadows moved across the trees and whispers echoed throughout my head.

Ifelt the need to want to go out side. I dropped the teddy bear out of my hand and reached for the door knob.