01. Familiar Faces

Despite what feels like a lost-to-the-world abandonment of my senses, I know it's been at least four hours before the Jet rumbles to a quiet halt. I blink my eyes for the first time in hours, but I don't move. I'm too wrapped up in banishing my newest self-loathing thoughts.

Nobody in the close quarters of the jet moves. Their heads turn to each other, brows lifted and questioning. Then as if on cue, all eyes turn to me. I know they're waiting for me. They have no idea where we are. That in itself is probably the scariest aspect for them. Especially considering my demeanor.

I know they have no idea what we're doing here or what's outside this jet. But I do. I know there's a lake that stretches for miles, further than the eyes can see. Mountains encase the landscape. They're tall, brooding, and snow-capped. One may quake in wonder at their grandeur, their majesty.

In the gracious landscape surrounding the mountains deep, rich pines cluster. Their knee-weakening aroma wafts through the crisp air that has a tendency to be bitingly cold during the winter months. The wondrous view is one that painters would kill for a chance to capture with their brushes and paint.

But this landscape is so much more than what one sees at face value.

Nestled in the trees are joyous cardinals, talkative blue jays, excited chipmunks, and mysterious squirrels. There's also fawns that chase after their mothers, dappled with specks of white as though it's been snowing. Large bears and ferocious wolves patrol the area but never do they dare draw close to the spot I plan on leading the team.

A weak exhale escapes me as I clamber to my feet. I wrap my arms around my body and hit the hanger door button with my elbow. Frigid air invades the cab of the jet quickly, taking the entire team by surprise. Their eyes are wide and frightened, possibly wondering if I've indeed lost my sanity and led them here to freeze to death. I should know that they'd never think I'd do such a thing.

I suck in a deep breath and allow the pure air to invade every inch of my lungs. There's a calmness about the atmosphere, about the landscape. It relaxes my tense muscles and frees me of depressing thoughts.

One shaky step.

Another.

One more.

My feet carry me down the ramp before I pause while standing evenly on solid ground. The earth is covered in long-dead pine needles while pine cones litter the area. A sadness wells up inside me. I had forgotten just how much I loved it here. It's been too long.

It's been a whole year.

I had always meant to come visit Carter during my downtime. But being an Avenger left hardly any free time in itself. At least we were able to write letters. It enabled me to make sure Carter was alright and taken care of.

A shaky exhale escapes me before I look to my left and start walking again. The air causes chills to erupt across my skin. The tips of my ears feel like they're burning with a cold fire as my nose becomes runny. The frigidness seems to invade my bones. It's been awhile since I've actually felt cold.
I don't care though. I'm somewhere safe now. We all are.

The footsteps behind me, hesitant and suspicious, follow. I can tell everyone's weary but their trust allows them to trail behind me. I don't know if it's because they actually believe in me, or if they're afraid I'll finally lose it and just break down. Either way, I'm glad they're behind me.

A billowing breath, like a white smoke, escapes my chapped lips. My eyelids feel heavy. I feel like just giving up. Just sitting down by a tree never to get back up. Left to freeze in this pure nature. I abandon the thought. I have to keep going. I'm so close now.