15. Bad News

"Hit it again." I'm so tempted to roll my eyes. So, so tempted. It is 2 am and I'm ready for bed. But you know what? Apparently, Wakandians don't sleep. Or at least not normal sleeping hours. And when a Princess tells you to hit a Black Panther suit prototype for the one hundredth and sixty-seventh time? You do it. "Perfect!" I close my eyes tiredly as I straighten to my full height, nearly swaying on my feet.

I turn my head and look at the royal wearily, exhausted. We'd been at this for five hours already. I don't think I can keep this up. I'm not physically tired, not by any means. Well...maybe a bit. It's been a hella long day. But mostly, I'm mentally exhausted. And the way Shuri looks up at me from her tablet, I can tell that fact is dawning on her. She looks conflicted but finally relents.

"Uh...I think I have enough data for tonight. How about we begin again tomorrow morning? We'll test your physical limits instead of strength then." I blearily nod in acknowledgment. I'm beyond thankful.

"Thanks, Shuri. I'll see you tomorrow." I offer before turning to exit the lab. I feel her piercing gaze on me while I climb the ramp towards the lab's exit. Once I'm beyond the lab's walls, I let out a long yawn. I tred quietly through the softly lit palace on the way back to my room. I'm ready to crash.

I force open the wooden door and flip on the light, finding my boyfriend face down on one of my pillows, snoring away. I stand in the doorframe, watching his back rise and fall rhythmically when I hear a creak behind me. I turn to look Wanda in the eye. She wears a brown robe, fitted to her body as she rubs the sleep from her eyes. A soft smile is in place on her lips as she regards me. "Sorry, did I wake you?" I whisper.

"No, no. I was just making sure you got back alright." I nod my head in understanding.

"Yeah, yeah...I'm good. See you tomorrow?" I watch her close her eyes and nod, the smile never slipping.

"Goodnight, Iris. Sleep well." I mouth a quiet 'thank you' when she opens her eyes again before retreating into her room. That's when I step into my own suite and shut the door quietly behind me. I pull off my shoes and walk to the bathroom, where I get ready for bed. Then I slip into some shorts from the closet and sit on the edge of my mattress. I watch Pietro's peaceful look of bliss, albeit smushed into a pillow, with comfort. I flick the lights off and swing my legs into bed. I then gently lift Pietro's nearest arm over me and lie with my back towards him. He stirs slightly and whispers an 'I love you' before pressing a kiss to the base of my neck. We both drift off to slumber.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

You'd think that after everything going on, you'd get the chance to sleep in. But did I? Nope. I fully embrace my previous statement. Wakandians do not keep normal sleep schedules at all.

The AV bead of the bracelet Shuri fitted me with buzzes to life in a holographic display. "Iris!" I groan loudly and try to bury my face in my pillow. I feel Pietro's arm tighten around my midsection as he grumbles against my neck. "Iris, it's time to get up. I need some more specific data for my calculations." I shake my wrist away from me, attempting to end the video connection to the Princess so I can sleep a bit longer. It doesn't work.

"What time is it?" I yawn while giving up trying to hide.

"It's eight thirty in the morning."

"Hnnmmggff...eight thirty...what about breakfast?" I wonder if an excuse for breakfast can be used to sleep longer.

"Don't worry about it, just come down to the lab. I'll have something for you." I sigh and finally peel my eyes open.