Chapter 12

We join Ash and Serena as they are making their way into the forest towards Ash's training area.

No one's POV

Ash and Serena walked in a comfortable silence, taking in the beauty of nature around them. There were various forest Pokemon watching the two as they made their way along the forest path. Some Pokemon would often come over to Ash to greet him as they were already familiar with the Raven-haired boy due to his frequent walks along the very same route. Ash had made lots of Pokemon friends in the forest due to the calming aura that he radiates. Ash has always had an uncanny ability to befriend any Pokemon, from Legendaries like Giratina to a Rattata.

Serena found this quite peculiar. She watched as various Pokemon came up to Ash to nuzzle his cheeks or run/fly around him, or simply walk beside him. Nothing of this sort had happened this morning when they were making their way out of the forest. To Serena's surprise, some Pokemon walked up to her too, replicating the same friendly gestures as they did with Ash.

This was all new to Serena. She would often spend her days either shopping in the bustling cities or racing Rhyhorns in her back garden. Those activities seemed hectic. Walking through the massive crowds with her friends in the city was enjoyable, however, Serena felt that it was missing something, but she couldn't quite put a finger on it. However, while on this walk with Ash, she started realising what it might have been. Just being there, beside Ash, in a forest brimming with the colours of Autumn, she found peace. The honking of cars were replaced by the chirping of the forest Pokemon. The filthy, polluted air was instead replaced by clean, crisp breeze. The towering skyscrapers were replaced by beautiful, lush trees, and, the loud, often rude, citizens were replaced by happy, friendly forest Pokemon. Serena was completely indulged in the serene environment around her. She was completely enveloped in her own little world consisting of her, Ash and the forest around her.

"Here we are!" exclaimed Ash with excitement.

Serena looked ahead to see the same training spot that she saw yesterday. The clearing was big enough to have a battle on.

"That's great!" replied Serena with excitement equaling Ash's. She too had been waiting for this battle. She too wanted to see what it felt like to battle Ash. She had watched Ash battle multiple times now. He has battled Gary, Drew, Paul etc. and She had always been there to watch him and closely inspect his battling style.

Ash and Serena stood on opposite sides of the battlefield.

"Alright Serena, this will be a 1-on-1 battle. is that alright with you?" asked Ash.

"Sure Ash, that's fine by me. But just so you know, I won't be holding back!" said Serena with a confident look on her face.

"Me neither!" replied Ash.

"Pikachu, buddy, get in there!" said Ash.

Pikachu jumped off Ash's shoulder and onto the impromptu battlefield.

"Pika!"

"Wh-What? You're using Pikachu?" asked Serena with a worried tone.

"Serena, don't worry! As soon as you start worrying, you'll start doubting yourself and your Pokemon. Be confident! It'll rub off on your Pokemon too! Now, show me what you can do Serena!" replied Ash calmly with a tone that encouraged Serena.

Serena took in every single one of Ash's words. She knew this battle could be very helpful to her. She always trusted her Pokemon. She had initially started off as a trainer challenging gyms, but she soon found out that she didn't enjoy it and it wasn't for her. However, during their short lived journey, Serena had grown quite close to her Pokemon, especially her Delphox. She knew that she could always rely on her Delphox for almost anything, and she knew, she could count on Delphox during this battle with Ash. With her mind made up, she decided to continue.