Chapter Eleven

Todd was more injured than anyone thought. He had a black eye, a bunch of bruises, and a sprained his wrist. Brandon, on the other hand, also was covered in bruises and cuts. His left eye was swollen shut, and his lip was busted.

Of course I was horrified. I was so afraid watching them fight, and I was so careful with Todd after it, but I kept worrying about what Brandon said that night before we left the party around eleven.

I know all about your secrets, Todd.

The words stung in my ears all weekend until finally, I couldn't hold it anymore. The day before we went back to school after winter break, I had to get to the bottom of it. It was silent as we sat on the couch in Todd's basement.

"Todd, what did Brandon mean when he said that?" I hesitated.

"Said what?" He asked.

"You know what I mean," my voice became quiet.

"Forget it, Paige. It's in the past. You need to realize that I love you, and no one else."

My throat became dry, my voice became hoarse. What did he mean? A part of me believed that he was being faithful, but the other half knew that he wasn't. He was hiding something.

"What did you do?" I whispered.

"It's in the-"

"What did you do?" my voice raised.

Todd debated on telling me for a moment. He meant the best, not wanting to hurt me, but it made me feel like a pawn. I was a pawn in his silly little chess game. I did everything to make him happy. I didn't want to ruin my first relationship. Why couldn't he feel the same way?

"I was stupid. I was drunk. It feels like forever ago," Todd sighed, not looking at me.

"That's not good enough." I said.

"Do you remember the second week we went out? When you were sick, and I came over, but you told me to go to Rob's party anyway?"

"Yeah?"

"Well when I was there, the guys were playing beer pong, and I went in the other room to call you. I wanted to check up on you since you were sick, but you didn't answer so I just figured you fell asleep," Todd's voice became quiet when he said," and then I found Jayden crying upstairs.."

"No. You didn't!" my voice cracked.

"I didn't mean anything by it, I swear!"

"How could you?" my voice became a whisper.

"I'm so sorry, Paige!"

Why? Of all people, why Jayden Fetch? Before we went out, Todd was telling me how much he hated her. Little did I know, they'd be hooking up behind my back two weeks later.

"Two weeks, Todd! We went out for only two weeks and you already cheated on me?!"

"I was drunk! I'm sorry!" he said again.

"Bullshit. That's no excuse. You know I hate Jayden. Of all people, you had to cheat on me with Jayden."

I wiped the tears out of my eyes and looked up at Todd, who was crying.

"You have no idea how sorry I am. I love you, Paige. Not Jayden. I haven't talked to her since."

He took my hand and squeezed it tightly. I pulled my hand away and grabbed my bag and my phone. While turned away from him, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

"I'm done."

"What are you saying?"

I turned around and watched him carefully as he bit his lip. His eyes were watery, and he looked more hurt than I probably did.

"I think we need to take a break for a while."

I tried to sound firm about it, when really, I was breaking inside. He closed his eyes tightly.

"Whatever you want," Todd nodded.

In the midst of all of this, I knew it wasn't my fault. My first real relationship, and there I was being the one to end it. I could have forgiven him and moved, but how could I ever trust him again? How could I trust him after doing something like that?

"Goodbye, Todd." I whispered, and walked out the door without turning back.