Chapter 6: Memories

I sat at the end of Sophia's hospital bed. The only sounds I heard were the sound of the monitor next to Sophia and her light breathing. Because of her abilities, the hole in ended up healing itself slowly but surely. There was multiple tubes inserted into her, it was scary. I rested my head on the side of Sophia's bed and shut my eyes. "Michelle!" Caitlin says. I almost forgot she and Rachel were here. "She's awake!" I quickly sat up and look at her.

     "Sophia!" I say. Slowly, she opened her eyes. She rested her hands on her head and took a few deep breaths. "I'm so glad your okay, we thought we lost you." I smiled at her, but my smile faded away when she said.

     "Who are you?"

1 month later

Michelles POV

     I shut my locker and set my forehead against it. I sighed. Sophia woke up 1 month ago. She didn't remember anything. Her interest. Her sense of humor. Who her friends were. I mean, the four of us talk once in awhile. But she hangs out by herself most of the time and is completely clueless as to why no one hangs out with her. And when she is hanging out with people, she hangs out with the smart kids. We are like the underdogs. The smart kids are actually semi appreciated at this place. But what the worst part is...

     She doesn't know about or remember her abilities.

1 month ago

     "We have to tell her!" I argue.

     "She's gonna find out eventually anyways!" Rachel adds. We were at our high school, trying to convince the guys that we should tell her about her abilities. She's forgotten about them, and I guess she doesn't sense them in her either. Rachel walked up to Ryan and smacked him across the face. Ryan grabs his cheek.

     "Why me?!" He asks.

     "Because you're being a little bitch saying we shouldn't tell her! We have to tell her!" Rachel says. She was tearing up a little. "It may be her only chance to get her memories back."

     "I'm sorry..." Ben says. "But this is her only chance at a normal life."

     "Bullshit!" Rachel screams. "She acts so differently now! And you should all know that the last thing Sophia ever wanted was a normal life. Also, you're not the one that's known her since elementary school! If we don't tell her... We may not ever see her the same again."

     The school bell rang which knocked me out of my thoughts. Our group was so quiet since Sophia lost her memory. We all kind of drifted away from each other, which hurt a lot. People at school or anyone who saw her in real life never talked about her abilities. Mike hasn't gone to school since they fought last as well. He went underground instead. Hid from the whole world.

     As I walked to my next class I saw Sophia. God she changed... She dressed so differently. She was somewhat innocent. Her interest were different. She liked school. She was a straight A student. Her hair was always brushed nicely. And every time I looked at her I was just reminded of who used to be my best friend. I quickly ran past her. She didn't remember any of us. It broke my heart.

     At the end of the week all of us, all of us but one were going to San Francisco just to try and be a little more happy. Rachel wanted to try and bring us all together so she invited Caitlin, Ben, Ryan and myself. I was running late. We all planned to meet at Rachel's house. But on the way I ran into Sophia.

     "Hey! Michelle? That's what it was right?" She asked. She had to ask what my name was. That stung. I nodded. She looked at me worriedly. "H-Hey. I'm really sorry that I don't remember. I honestly wish I could. I feel like I would be a bit happier if I remembered." I didn't answer. She sighed. "H-Have a good night." She said. And she walked away.

I finally made it to Rachel's house and the entire ride to San Francisco was quiet. I thought about what Sophia said. I'm really sorry that I don't remember. I honestly wish I could. I feel like I would be a bit happier if I remembered.  A smile crept onto my face. She would be so happy if she remembered.

     We made it to the beach. We all just sat there quietly. I wanted to lighten up the mood a bit. So I pulled out my phone and start scrolling through some videos from middle school. These videos consisted of our other friends doing weird stuff. Sophia making stupid expressions. One of Sophia chasing Ryan across the school because he pissed her off. Another about the great potato war of 1767. Everyone started to surround me. And after about 4 or 5 videos the five of us started talking as if nothing ever happened. We were laughing again. And it was great.

     The water on the beach suddenly started going crazy. We had to run into the city. "That was odd." Ben says.

     "Kay if Ben says something' is odd then something is up." Caitlin says. We all laugh a little bit due to how accurate that statement was. I looked up into the sky and smile. But something felt, wrong. It felt like something big was about to happen. Something in me told me to run. I didn't. The ground suddenly started shaking.

     "Whats this?" Rachel asks.

"An earthquake?" Ryan says.

     "No... This is something else." I say. I looked around the beach. There wasn't a single person on it besides us. The sky was painted with grey clouds and the wind was speeding up. When I examined the beach once again I noticed that Mike was standing on the sand. My eyes widened. "Guys..." They all turn to look at where I was looking and saw Mike. "Go! Go! Run!" I yelled. But before we could run far enough Mike attacks us.

Sophia's POV

     "Im home!" I yelled as I walked into my room. I sat at my desk and turned on my computer to start my homework. Once it was on I opened up Google and looked at the news section out of curiosity. The first article said Mike Strikes Again in San Francisco! Posted 7 minutes ago. I clicked on it and read the article.

     The so called 'Water User' has struck again attacking a group of people who seem to be friends of the 'Original, and or, fire user.' Approximately 1 month ago there was a fight between the users Mike Sanchez, Cassie Claire, and Sophia Kasai. During the battle, Sanchez and Claire were teamed up against Kasai, but were defeated by Kasai after she went psychotic which led to the tragic death of Cassie Clare.

     I jumped out of my seat and stared at my computer with my eyes widened. My head started hurting like crazy. I griped my head and started panting. Suddenly, all of them came back. My memories. Of my interest. Of my friends. Of my abilities. How I learned to control them. How I went missing. How I fought the masked man. I remembered everything. And my first thought after my memories returned, I have to save my friends. I pulled my hair up into a high ponytail. Changed into a pair of jeans and converse and put on a t-shirt (because what I was wearing earlier was hideous). "MOM!" I yelled while darting into the living room. "What's the fastest way to San Francisco!?" I asked in a rush. Her eyes widened when she saw me.

     "Your memories-."

     "Usually this is where we have a heartwarming scene together but I really need to save my friends!" I said quickly. "Now can you please get me to San Francisco asap?" She smiled.

     "Let's go!" She said. I grabbed my jacket and we both walked out the door.