Part 14: A painful sacrifice

Laying next to a very uncomfortable Nicks, Lindsey had tears running down his face while she attempted a nap, Father Garth off on begging a peer to join him on saving Stevie's life. Not only would giving birth to a child destroy areas of her body but she did not have the correct nutrients, leaving her already in an abnormal state. 

"Mmm..." she mumbled, shaking at all of the strength she's lost.

Lindsey cuddled close, using the cool washcloth to run across her face, down her neck and chest; his heart was broken at the scene, lifting her nightgown to examine the skin of her abdomen. He shook his head as more tears came, knowing this was not what she had in mind when it came to ever being a mother, watching as her stomach literally moved; it had Lindsey gasping and covering her back up.

It was hours now and Father Garth had not returned, Lindsey doing exactly what he was told to do, but his patience was wearing thin.

"Where are you? What is taking so long?" cried Lindsey in to the phone, standing on the balcony of Stevie's bedroom.

"Mr. Buckingham, I am waiting on a colleague of mine; he is going to be the best of help - I guarantee it!"

"She's really suffering and I can't stand it! She can hardly breathe!"

"Keep her calm and respect the child; Rhiannon will only make things more unbearable!"

"What happens if your colleague can't make it? Or, what happens if the plan doesn't work? I won't lose her, Father."

"Either way, Mr. Buckingham, the outcome is in God's hands."

"I'm so tired of hearing that! Why can't we give her a C-section?"

"The entity of that child will be destructive and it can't be born."

"She's so fragile; why is this happening?" Lindsey sobbed, almost falling to his knees.

"No one ever knows but I'm doing my absolute best, I promise."

After hanging up, Lindsey went straight back to Stevie's room, finding her trying to sit up as he ran to her side. "Angel, be careful," hands on her knees as he leaned down to kiss her.

"I can't do this anymore, Lindsey, you have to promise that if I end up dying - that I will not suffer. Please, Lindsey, I want this baby removed!"

"Shhh..." placing a finger to her lips, afraid if Rhiannon heard, "...don't speak like that."

"This is not how I envisioned my later years, Lindsey, it's killing me. I need you to promise  that if I die, that you will be able to move on - that you will go back to your family."

Sobbing in to her knees, he wrapped his arms around her legs. "Please, I can't listen to this!" looking back up at her and taking her face. "You're not going to die, baby, I won't allow it! I won't..." whispering through his tears.

"You know very well that I am in no shape or form to give birth to a child, Lindsey," touching the curls on his head.

"That's why we are going to get extra help, okay?" running his fingers across the large bags under her eyes.

"Nothing is guaranteed, Linds, and I am so sorry that I waited so long to tell you; even I couldn't believe I was being possessed by a witch I loved."

He shook his head, letting his fingers run through her dry hair, a few strands tangling around his hands. She was losing it again, losing her hair due to the baby soaking up everything she had. "I'm not going to leave you and if you die, then I die."