Part 20: Goodbye baby

Leaving the hospital, Stevie was assisted with a wheelchair by Lindsey, taken to a car out back then driven to the hotel Karen was staying in.

All Stevie wanted was to hold that little boy, wrapping her arms around herself while closing her eyes, imagining his warmth. The feeling of nurturing a young infant was pleasing, still wishing that he was hers, but Lindsey had so many points to what he believed was best. She knew that he supported her when it came to being an adoptive parent but her lifestyle would not be able to accommodate, unhappy with herself and her past choices, opening her eyes as they pulled up to the hotel.

"Hey, you okay?" questioned Lindsey, taking one of her hands.

Stevie nodded, giving him a small smile and head nod, the driver opening the door so she could exit the vehicle. Lindsey had the wheelchair set up then once more assisted with getting her down in to it, giving her shoulders a rub then being escorted in to the hotel by staff.

Karen got the text from Lindsey, that they were on their way up to her room, unlatching the door so she could open it for them. 

"It's good to see you again," spoke Karen, giving her boss a smile as Lindsey rolled Stevie to the door.

"Oh - it's good to see you again, too," Stevie responded, being wheeled up to the couch as she carefully lifted herself up from the chair.

"Careful," Lindsey mentioned, taking her hands as she slowly sat back on the couch. "Do you need anything? I don't mind getting what ever you may need."

"The baby," answered Stevie, "...can you bring me the baby?"

His heart sank, looking over at Karen as she gently lifted the tiny boy up from the bed, handing him over to Lindsey as he took a second to admire the infant. He was so much like Will but his blue eyes, time would only tell if they'd change, and for a moment Lindsey had to shake the thoughts out of his mind.

Opening her arms, Stevie anxiously awaited the child, being passed down to her as the little boy's eyes grew wide. "Oh, did you miss me? I missed you," touching his cubby cheeks.

Lindsey had to turn, wiping a tear from his eyes, Karen noticing as she gave him a slight smile.

"Um, I'm going to get myself a room," he spoke, taking his wallet out of his pocket.

"Why?" asked Stevie, bringing all her attention back on Lindsey.

"I'm tired and there's only two beds here."

"I don't mind sharing a bed with you, Linds."

"I wouldn't want to interfere with you and Karen."

"Nonsense, Lindsey, there's no point in getting another room for just a night."

Usually Karen would not be open to an idea like this but the fact that her boss was right, they were flying back to the states tomorrow, sharing a room with Lindsey Buckingham shouldn't be that big of a deal.

"I am sure going to miss you," Stevie brought her attention back to the baby. "I promise that someone will love you, that someone will be waiting for you."

The scene was hard on Lindsey and he knew that it would be hard on Stevie to leave him at the orphanage; Karen had everything set up while Stevie was recovering, he was also successfully exorcised by Father Garth.

Eventually Stevie got uncomfortable on the couch, asking for help as Karen took the baby from her arms, Lindsey bringing his arms up underneath Stevie's to help her stand. She asked for a bath as she looked up in to his eyes, him knowing that she wanted affection, that being the only way while sharing a room with her assistant.