Chapter One

Chapter One

Everyone made mistakes.

It was a natural part of life. It was how one learned, how one became an expert in their field of study, how one knew to react the next time they were encountered with such a situation. Mistakes were a tool for learning, for gaining experience. However, to dwell upon such mistakes held you back from moving on, from seeking out your given path, your future.

Unfortunately, last I had checked, no one's mistakes had nearly resulted in the end of the universe and therein lied the source of all my problems.

See, long ago, back when mortals were non-existent, when time was still in infancy, when the realms were sparse, and the Source reigned supreme, there was only my siblings, myself, our children, and perhaps a few others the Source spawned to join us in our next chapter of existence. Our lives in physical vessels. It was a whole new experience for us, completely different from our lives as part of the Source.

And what a glorious feeling it was. I was so fascinated by the beauty in the world, the fresh raw emotions the Source had gifted us with so as to experience the universe as the other creatures did. It was so beautiful to feel love, to feel joy, wonder. Even sorrow was beautiful to me. Tears were like crystals, cascading against soft warm skin. And sexual aura, such a bold and powerful sensation that sent chills and tingles through me, warmed me from the inside out.

The feel of soft grass, the heat of sunlight, the cool caress of the moonlight. The sound of insects chirping, the ocean's hushed calls as its glittering clear waters licked to shore, only to retreat back in, as if taking a breath with the very Source itself. The smell of the ocean's salt, the sweet fruits, the smell of someone's skin, so sweet and delicious. The taste of tart berries, sweet candies, savory juicy meat.

Everything was so beautiful.

So perfect.

At least, that was what I tried to tell myself. Even as I watched creatures around me fall, drown in their own sea of thick red blood, even as I watched my siblings weep and scream in agony, even as I watched the creature who stole my heart smile as he slit the throat of everyone close to me. I tried so hard to see the beauty, tried so hard to focus on what lay beyond the horror.

And what... what a foolish mistake.

How incredibly selfish.

And the worst part was that the pain hadn't ended with Atlan's death. Everyone around me continued to smile, continued to love. They had moved on, found their futures and embraced them, found the beauty in the universe once more, and cherished it.

Yet I could see nothing, but the blood, the horror, the misery.

Nothing was beautiful anymore.

Everything was so... dark. So cold. So painful.

And yet I refused to flee. I refused to once again close my eyes and disappear from the world. I'd see so many creatures in this new universe find happiness, even my own precious brother, who'd been hurt the worst by my betrayal. I'd seen the look of agony on his face when I'd mentioned returning to my slumber. I'd also heard his pain, his sorrow, his fear, and even his hatred. He would never forgive me if I were to leave him again. I'd done enough to hurt Joxeia.

So here I was.

Alive. Awake.

And wishing nobody had ever fucking woken me up in the first place.

Whack!

A solid right hook to my jaw snapped me out of my personal pity party and my head snapped back, my body throwing itself back from the impact. I hissed through gritted teeth, clenching my fists tight around athletic tape strapped around my knuckles. Blood filled my mouth and I instantly ran my tongue along my teeth to ensure none had been knocked loose. I gathered the blood up and spat it out on the black mat on the floor, glancing up where Tristan was watching me closely, with the trained suspicious eyes of a creature who'd fought for his life.