three

"Just because we're the only people in the world, doesn't mean you can drive like a maniac," Lily scolded Kai, "I'm gonna get car sick."

"Suck it up. I want to fit a day trip into two hours. Your whining isn't making it go any faster." He  retorted, "and if you need to puke, do us a favour and go out the window."

She rolled her eyes. 

"So Lily, it's funny that you're the one who ended up here with me... Considering all that's happened, it's like you're destined to end up with me."

She laughed, "When you put it that way..."

Kai and Lily had known each other longer than they could remember themselves. Jo and Lily had been two peas in a pod since before they knew how to spell and Kai seemed to always find a way to slip into the equation. Since Jo and Kai were twins, when they were little, it was never one without the other. So when Jo came over for a playdate, Kai came over too. When Jo and Lily would play house, Kai would be the dad. He always would find a way to join them.

But when they turned ten, it changed. She remembers one day when she was at Jo's house and Kai walked past. Lily was only slightly younger than them, but in that moment she felt years.

"Kai," she called, "where are you going?"

"Nowhere."

"Want to play?"

He looked at her, "I'm getting too old to play."

She sighed, "Oh, okay. What do you want to do?"

He looked at her, "Depends, what do you want to do?" 

"Maybe you, Jo–"

"I don't want to. Thanks but no thanks." He snapped at her, before walking off in a huff.

"Oh, ok..."

At that point, she couldn't understand why he snapped like at her that, but now she does. He would've just found out about the merge; that would've been a lot to take in for a ten year old.

"Do you remember that dickwad who took you to the 8th grade dance?" He joked.

"Don't remind me, that was not the brightest moment of mine." She said, while remembering the ordeal.

Back in 8th grade, we had our first official school dance, and all the hotshot boys asked three girls to the dance each. Unfortunately, I was one of those three girls invited by Caleb Finnstock. Showing up and realising what had happened, I was the most upset girl in the world at the point, or I was pretty close to it. Jo was a bit wrapped up in her own date, but Kai went alone and saw me, told Caleb to get lost, or at least that's all I wanted to remember, and then he danced with me for the rest of the night.

"I like to think of myself as the knight in shining armour in that situation."

While she couldn't deny it, she couldn't help but think about the irony, now that he'd sacrificed four of his own siblings. She was trying not to think about it, since she was pretty much stuck with him, but she couldn't help herself; she couldn't get over it. She tried to distract herself.

"Remember when we were 15 and our parents teamed up to give us the talk?"

"That's not hard to forget." He said, shaking his head. "I remember when your mum was trying to explain to you how you use a tampon."

"I don't even want to think about it. That was the most embarrassing moment of my life."

"I can think of worse..."

"Oh yeah?" Lily said, turning to face Kai, who kept his eyes fixated on the road.

"Do you remember when you went on that date with Kyle and I had to come save you because you–"

"I don't need to remember that," she scrunched up her face, "you were right."

"Maybe we know each other better than we think we do." Kai said.

"Maybe you're right."

It was silent for a while, but it wasn't awkward, it was peaceful.

"I think we'll work better as friends if we want to survive this." Kai said.

"Ok. I can do that."

"Good, because I'm going to need your help when we get to Mystic Falls."

"Why?"

"I need to find the ascendant."

"What's that?"

"Gosh, someone's full of questions." Kai snapped, ruining any moment they'd had, "It's a mystical relic, blah blah blah, could help us get out of here."

"Ok, where is it?"

"That's the thing, I don't know. Could've been right under my nose at my own house, but I read something about a Bennett witch holding a key role in making this ascendant work. While you were asleep last night, I did some reading, and I think there's one who resides in Mystic Falls."

"Ok."

<----^---->

"There is so much stuff..." Lily said.

"Be careful, you don't know what it means." He warned her.

"Ok, Malachai."

"It'd be just like you to break something important," he said, "and don't call me that."

She just nodded. He was always on and off, she'd gotten used to it, since she'd known him for most of her life.

She knocked a box over, and out poured a book, along with a small silver contraption that almost looked like it belonged on a bike.

"Is this it?" she asked, for the tenth time. She thought every silver thing she saw could be it, and much to Kai's dismay, she asked every time whether it was the ascendant.

"I told you not to say anything unless you were su–" Kai said, before cutting himself off, "That's it... you found it..."

She smiled and handed it to him. He saw his eyes light up, like they did when they were kids.

"So what do we do now?" She asked him.

He was silent for a moment. "If I'm being honest, I really don't know."

Lily looked around, and she saw the book that fell out with the ascendant.

"This may help," she said, while passing it to him, "it was next to it when I found it."

He flicked through the book, and then looked up at her and smiled, before he cut open her wrist.