ten

She fell into a routine; picking up the syringe, measuring out half an ounce, then injecting it into a bottle of alcohol. She'd put it back on the shelf, like no one had touched it, then picked up another.

In the past five hours they'd been doing this, Lily realised she'd been to this grocery store before. It was the convenience store she'd to when they first arrived. Even though it wasn't far from their house, they never came back here, but probably with good reason. She thought of the events of that evening and laughed, before feeling cold.

She adored Kai, so much, and even though she tried to forget her feelings for him, like he did for her, she couldn't. All she could think about is how he had changed over the years; from inhumane to thoughtful, and then back in an instant. She did try to understand his desire for the magic and whatnot, but it still didn't click in her head. Did he love her?

Enough thinking, she thought, I'll just ask him myself.

"Kai?" she asked, looking at him. He lifted his head from whatever book he had his head buried in it. It looked big, and sort of familiar. Maybe he took it from one of the studies in the mansion.

"Problem?" he asked back, looking at her with a tight-lipped smile.

She hesitated for a second, but knew she had to get this off of her chest. "Are we... okay?"

He sighed, not knowing how to respond. He did have a plan, but he wasn't keen to include her in it. He didn't know if she was going to be in it long term, or if she was worth bringing along. He looked into her eyes, but she looked away, purposefully, as if she wanted a truthful answer. She didn't want him reading her, deciphering how to respond; she just wanted to know what he was trying to do.

"I just think, we should take a break," he began, watching her carefully.

She bit her lip, staring at the ground. "Okay."

He was surprised she didn't say anything else, but at the same time, he didn't know what else she would say. He wanted her to cry, as bad as it sounded.

"But don't worry, cute stuff," he said, forcing her to look at his odd grin, "you're not alone anymore. We'll have some friends soon."

She turned away from Kai and finished up injecting the remaining bottles with vervain. When she finished, she told Kai she was going to go back to the house.

"No!" he exclaimed, grabbing her wrist.

She tried to pull away, confused. She couldn't tell whether he was just trying to toy with her emotions or whether he legitimately didn't want her to leave. He kept a firm grasp on her wrist.

"That's the vampire's house, or haven't you made that connection over the past few hours?"

She pulled her arm away and glared at him. "Maybe he'll be nicer to me then you're being right now." She just said that to annoy him - she had no intention of having a face to face confrontation with a vampire, anytime soon at least.

"Nah uh," Kai said, stepping in front of her, "I need you,"

She raised a brow, unsure of the context of his last sentence.

"For leverage." he clarified. He swallowed hard, watching her react.

She sighed, disappointedly. But at the same time, she didn't know what else she expected. "of course..."

She didn't bother protesting. What was the point? There was only one other person in the world that she knew, who she also adored with all her heart, and she didn't want to make whatever situation they were in any worse.