nine

"Get up," Kai said, as he towered over Lily's bed.

She still felt groggy from her restless sleep, tossing and turning all night, thinking about Kai in the next room over. Around 3 am, she contemplated going into his room and talking to him, but she ended up falling asleep.

"It's..." she said, turning over to look at the alarm clock, "... 5:30 in the morning. Leave me alone, Mal."

"No can do, Lil." he said, with a grin, while pulling back the covers. The cool, early morning air bit at her skin as she tried to conserve her heat.

She groaned as he walked over to the windows and pulled away the blinds. While he didn't let any light in, she could feel the more of the cool, bitey air creeping through the windows. She sat up in her bed, glaring at the boy.

Overnight, she'd been thinking to herself. She didn't know what had motivated this 'change' within Kai, but she decided she was angry with him. If he could toss her so easily into the dust, then so could she. What she thought were years of friendship and admiration for each other had dissipated, in his mind at least, within seconds. She blew hot breath into her hands to warm herself up.

Who's Kai again? she thought, trying to make herself feel better. She didn't need to be waiting at someone's feet, she could go make her own fate, even if she was isolated in a world with the same person she was trying to ignore. There's no point trying to love someone in a one-sided relationship. She got up from the bed and walked to the bathroom, pushing past Kai.

"Did I say you could leave?" he said, following Lily into the bathroom.

She didn't respond, instead, opting to roll her eyes. She turned on the hot water faucet and started scrubbing at her face, inspecting her pores in the mirror, as if she wasn't being watched.

"I suppose you're wondering why we're staying at this," he said, flicking the dust off of one of the bathroom shelves "character, of a motel."

"Please Kai, enlighten me." she muttered, not focused on the boy, but rather her own reflection.

He cleared his throat, as if trying to grab her attention, but it didn't work. "Well you see, I need you to do some jobs for me. Favours, if you will." He grinned wickedly.

Lily scoffed, rolling her eyes again. She splashed her face with the hot water, droplets ricocheting onto Kai. His anger, and more so confusion, began to bubble.

"What?" he asked, "you've never had a problem with doing favours for me before."

Lily stopped and looked at Kai through the mirror, with her jaw dropped in disbelief of what had come out of her mouth. She couldn't tell whether it was a petty jab at some of their... past activities, or a write-off of their relationship. Either way, she was offended. She shook her head and stomped out of the bathroom.

She picked her bag up off the floor and put it on her bed, stuffing her clothes and items she'd used within the past 24 hours back into the duffel bag. While she was across the room, grabbing her hairbrush, Kai sat on the bed, next to her bag, making a puppy dog face.

He had a plan, little did she know. He didn't know how, or if, she fitted into it just yet, but he had it up his sleeve. He did feel something for her, somewhere, but he pushed it away; easily. It'd make it easier if things went astray, for him at least, but he didn't like seeing her angry. She used to push her anger down inside of her, before they became close, refraining from exploding or mentioning her feelings. Soon, they became closer, and if she had a problem, she'd let him know. She'd gone back to her old ways. Have I too? he thought, distracted by his plan. He looked at her walking towards him from across the room. She rolled her eyes.