Chapter 26

Carson rubbed sleep from his eyes as he stumbled his way out to the kitchen. From the second he had opened his eyes and noticed Josiah wasn’t laying next to him in bed any longer, he knew that the glorious smell of bacon and waffles that was wafting into the bedroom was due to the older boy cooking them breakfast.

The brunet turned the corner and stood back against the wall for a few moments. He wanted to admire the shirtless boy before him as he turned over slices of bacon. Carson watched as Josiah’s tight back muscles stretched and flexed under his smooth, light-brown skin. Once again--for the thousandth time since Carson had first seen him all those years ago--he was struck with a strong sense of awe at Josiah’s beauty and flawlessness.

As Carson’s thoughts flashed back to the day before--their first night of actually succumbing to their innermost desire to be together--he got wrapped up in a daydream of it all. He could hardly believe that he and Josiah were finally going to try and make it work between them. Yeah, it was awful for what they were doing to Ayden, but they were human. And they were men. Being awful sort of seemed like a given in this situation.

The two of them had barely made it into the apartment the previous day before they had their hands and lips on each other. Carson swore he could still feel the tingling of his lips from how much Josiah had kissed him. He could remember perfectly the anxious smile on the darker boy’s plump lips when he had closed the door behind them and gently pressed Carson against it. Carson had barely had enough time to smile back in encouragement before Josiah’s hands were on his waist and his cheek.

Not long after, lips had met lips and they had hardly been apart for the rest of the evening. Only when the boys had somehow managed to fall asleep at an amazingly early time of nine pm had they finally stopped with the kissing.

“I think I might pass out,” Josiah had whispered, breaking his mouth away from Carson’s as they laid in his bed. “All this making out for the last few hours is a lot more exhausting than I’d thought it would be.”

Carson had laughed, with an affectionate twinkle in his indigo-coloured eyes as he had gazed at the older guy. “I’m just that good at it, huh?”

Josiah had smirked at the comment, but underneath it, he had felt like a giant ball of nerves. Never had he been with someone who had made him feel like a shy fourteen year old boy all over again. Of course Josiah knew how to kiss--he had been kissing girls since he was twelve. But he had never kissed a guy before Carson. And thinking about all the things besides kissing that he was expected to do with the beautiful brunet in his arms had made him nervous.

Carson had sensed the older boy’s hesitation to do more than PG-rated hand-roaming and heavy kissing, which he easily honoured. Josiah had almost never been more relieved in his life. He had only been thankful that Carson didn’t try to push him or even ask him about it. The dark-haired boy had thought for sure that if his best friend had said words like “blow jobs” or “anal” he would have had a nervous breakdown on the spot.

In all of his honesty, Carson hadn’t wanted to do more than what they had either. He had felt like it was too soon. He understood where Josiah’s reluctance was coming from, and he had almost felt the same kind of hesitation. Even he wasn’t completely ready to give himself up to another guy like that. Not when the last time had been so unwanted and traumatizing.

Back in the kitchen, when Josiah turned around, he saw the distant look on Carson’s face. The older boy noticed the way his best friend was staring at the space he had just been in, not blinking at all. The brunet was clearly lost in deep thought.

With a little smile on his face, Josiah went up to the younger man and wrapped his arms around his waist. This seemed to pull Carson out of his daydream, and he almost jumped as Josiah’s lightly muscled arms settled around him.