stop

•••••
elysian (adj.)- beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect
•••••

)- beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect •••••

IT is now Thursday, her favorite day of the week

IT is now Thursday, her favorite day of the week. Not because Friday comes immediately the next day, but because he comes over after school to study.

They have a routine to be followed on Thursdays. First, she creates sandwiches for them to eat while he prepares the living room with all their relevant books and notes. Once she finishes and cleans the kitchen, she gives him his own sandwich. Then he smiles a soul-crushing grin, and then she walks back to the kitchen, her knees ready to give way.

"Come back into the living room," he calls. "I want to share my sandwich with you!" His voice travels to the kitchen, in which she currently stands. She drops the heart-shaped slice of bread in her hand, mid-fold. She rushes to him, eager to be close.

As she approaches the door to the living room, however, she suddenly becomes timid and shy in her own home. She brushes her hands along her pants and flattens her hair. Walking to the fridge, she smiles at it, in order to see her reflection through the silver coating and make sure she looks presentable for him.

This is simply what he does to her. He makes her forget who she is before her heart overtook her brain. She used to be enthusiastic, charming, and head strong before her brain stepped aside and left nothing but a naive heart to hold the reigns. Now, at this moment, she feels akin to a bundle of words sitting neatly atop an empty sheet of paper, tied up with a red satin ribbon.

"Here. You can have this half-- and some of these chips. I'm not that hungry anyway," he greets her quietly as she gingerly sits beside him.

She dares not look him in the eye as she mutters a simple thank you. He is so beautiful that it hurts to stare at his face for too long. As they quietly talk, the conversation blooms comfortably, but she can't help but notice a significant difference in their dynamic. The scar on his ear, from when her cat recently attacked his face, and the bruise under his chin, from a recent slip on wet tile, wave at her whenever he throws his head back with laughter. It's crazy how so much has even physically changed. She could stare at his face forever when they were younger, but as soon as she started to develop feelings for him, her mind did a 180 degree turn.

'Just best friends... Just best friends... Just best friends,' she chants in her mind.

And from there, they continue eating while she hides fleeting looks of longing, not knowing that the person she wants is in another world.