have

•••••
wanderlust (n.)- a great desire to travel and rove about
•••••

)- a great desire to travel and rove about •••••

HER mother taught her how to seduce a man

It all started on her fifteen birthday. Flo wasn't expecting anything really, since birthdays weren't usually celebrated in her household. The last time she had a party or some sort of celebration was when she was seven and that seemed like a distant memory. It was her best friend that remembered today's special occasion, she realized, as she rolled over and checked her phone for the time. Florence smiled at the text message that appeared on the screen, reading over the words like a prayer.

A: Happy birthday to the greatest gal in the world! Can't wait to see you later and beat you at Mario Kart for the third time this week.

She sat up from bed, a frown slowly gracing her childlike face. Flo thought that her mother would at least sing happy birthday to her or leave a card on her dresser. Instead, she was met with the ticking sound of her alarm clock and a cold draft of wind from the cracked window on her goosebump ridden legs.

Flo threw the sheets off of her upper body, preparing to go downstairs and see what her mother had planned for the day. Excited at the prospect of hanging out with her friend later, she quickly slipped on her house slippers and opened her room door. Immediately, she heard other voices coming from the opposite side of the house and sighed disappointingly, knowing that today was just going to be another cycle of being ignored and isolated from everyone else. The room door shut back after that, her fingers reaching to turn the lock.

After her new father came into her life, she continued to see countless other men too. They would come into the house with their nice clothes and expensive cars and wander around the home like it was a museum. This was why she often stayed in her room, too afraid to leave in case something went awry.

After a while, she became curious about what was happening beyond the four walls of her bedroom. She was a bit saddened that no one remembered her birthday, and wanted her parents to show her some affection. Loneliness was a dangerous entity, and it was creeping up on her the older she became. As a fifteen-year-old girl, she wanted to interact with people and be apart of their conversation, especially when there was nothing else to gossip about or no one to else to speak to.

She slipped out of her room just to peek at what was happening. She was fifteen for goodness sake, and could hold a conversation with adults without sounding like an idiot or an uneducated swine. It was time that her parents finally treat her like a person, who could be responsible and deal with everyday problems. She was not a child anymore.

Her feet tapped quietly on the floor, as she made her way into the kitchen. The voices got louder and her sadness began to slip away. 'Finally, someone to talk to.' Turning the corner, she saw the scene in front of her.

It was her worst nightmare. She had made a grave mistake.

Her mother sat up quickly from her inappropriate position. She fixed her clothes, at least lack there of, and swiped a hand across her lips to get rid of the saliva that gathered there. Her eyes traveled around the room in panic, looking at her daughter first and then her husband that clenched his jaw tightly at the interruption. She could sense his anger from her kneeled stance, and dreaded his actions once the anger bubbled over. He would take his frustrations out on her daughter, and she wouldn't allow that to happen in front of all these people.

Her husband lowered the camera in his hand, turning his back from the other males that stood around the room. She watched him loosen his belt, and panic surged through her. She did the one thing she could to divert his attention from her innocent daughter.

"What did I tell you about interrupting us!" She yelled, her once beautiful face contorting into a nasty snarl. Her daughter flinched.

"I ju-just wanted to g-get a sip of water," she answered nervously. Her mother seemed to get more annoyed.

"It's alright, Jess. Let it go. Maybe she should join us. Teach her about the big world." Mystery man, one of eight, said. She felt bile slowly creep up her throat. This was not how she wanted to learn about being an adult.

"That's-- uh... I'm not that thirsty anymore. I'll wait in my room." She sheepishly backed away. Before she could turn and run, her father stopped her.

"Come here."