Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Noah's P.O.V

Dakota and I saw more of each other after that. 

Sometimes it was unplanned, like meeting in the hallways of school or randomly in the supermarket. Then other times, she would come up to me and ask me if I wanted to go walk with her. And when I mean walk with her, I mean just walk with her. But I liked it ... it was peaceful.

When we met, we didn't converse like regular people (not that we are regular people that is). Dakota wasn't one to open up easily and when she did speak it was of the most oddest of things. Sometimes she would speak about something as simple as an orange and make it out to be as important as the Duke of Cambridge. 

And then other times she would ask for my opinion of the subject as if my opinion was so important that it would change the way we live and breathe. I like that she makes me feel important. Like I'm important (even though I'm not.)

She was weird like that but maybe we - including myself - all need a little weirdness in our lives.

I asked her one day why she wore mismatched socks all the time. It's not that I disliked them, it was just that the thought of finding two pairing socks didn't seem to be a difficult task. 

She paused for a moment, her face pale and blank as she began contemplating her response in her head. Her answer was simple and a lie, "because it's a free country Noah." 

But I wouldn't fit for that, I knew that there was more to the fact that 'it's a free country' because she had that nervous expression of hers plastered on her face. I'm certain that there is another valid reason as to why she always wears mismatched socks but I decided to ask her later. 

Instead, I thought about what she said - the fact about it being a free country. If it was a free country then people shouldn't be judged for what they wear, for their sexuality, for their wealth even. And that makes me pity our society even more. 

But then I realized that I also pity myself. 

Because we are all society. 

I am society. 

I told her this, well I more like ranted it to her. And she gleamed at me. 

Proper full on gleamed at me, there was hope in her copper eyes, maybe even admiration?

Hopefully there was. 

She told me that she completely understands and that she feels the same way. 

And then she said, all of a sudden, after a brief comfortable silence, "I like you Noah."

I wasn't sure if she mean't 'like' as in friendship like, or 'like' as in romance like. Nevertheless, I replied, "I like you too Dakota."

Those words didn't seem hard to say. And I guess that's because I always knew that deep down I've always liked Dakota.

I think she knew that too; So maybe that's why she didn't blush like other girls would. 

But who's to say that Dakota is like other girls?

Because she definitely wasn't.

And that was completely, understandably, a good thing.