4.

RIKER'S P.O.V.

I was back home in Colorado. It was Christmas day and the whole family was sitting in the living room of the cabin. We were all smiling and having fun. Just then Rocky and Ross took out their guitars and began to play. Soon we were all singing along to various Christmas songs. This was one of my favourite Christmas traditions. Suddenly, the music died down and it was like the whole scene was on mute. Rydel turned to me, looking at me straight in the eyes. "Why did you leave us?" she asked. I stared at her, completely gobsmacked and everything went black.

I opened my eyes and sat up slowly, looking around the room. "What the hell just happened?" I said out loud. I sniffed the air, something smelled good. I walked groggily out of my room and into the kitchen where I found the old man making pancakes. I sat down just as he served up a tall stack of pancakes to me, complete with chocolate syrup. My favourite, how on Earth could he have known that? He sat down opposite me as I ate. There was something oddly comforting about this scene. Like and old memory trying to resurface. I shook off the feeling and continued to eat. "Look I know you said just one night but.... " The old man started but I cut him off "It's OK. You can stay as long as you need,"  I said. Some part of me, for some strange reason, didn't want to say goodbye to this mysterious Old Man. There was just something about him.

I had the day off from work today so I decided to do some housework. The old man helped me and we cleaned the living room and bathroom before lunch. at around one o'clock I quickly made up a few sandwiches with crisps and we sat down to eat. He looked at me curiously. "So what's your then?" he asked. Usually I would be appalled at such a question but the old man was so kind and inviting that I ended up telling him everything.

"Wow!" he said when I finished "5 years,". I lowered my head "I know," "why didn't you go home? "Its too late, they don't want me back," I said feeling tears pricking my eyes "Anyway, we have cleaning to do!" I stood up and went out the back and into shed. I heard the Old Man following me so I quickly wiped my eyes and grabbed two brushes, a rake and a dustpan. The rest of the day was spent tidying the front lawn.

*EVENING*

"So why no decorations?" the Old Man asked me as we sipped our coffee by the fire. The coffee suddenly went sour in my mouth. "Christmas isn't a good time for me. I tend to steer clear of it." he looked at me, that same twinkle appearing in his eyes once again. "You know, I used to be like you," I stayed silent and he took that as an invitation to continue, "I left home a few years ago. Left my kids, my whole family behind. I knew I'd probably leave at some stage but I guess I left too soon because the family didn't take it too well. Christmas was always hard for me too. it had always been a family affair so being without them was a bit of a shock to the system." "why did you leave?," "I didn't want too, but I had to. It was time," "did you ever go back?" "No. But let me tell you, if I could, I'd go home in a heartbeat," "so, why don't you go home now?" "oh it's much too late for me," he paused "But it's not too late for you," I laughed at him "trust me it is. I cut those ties the minute I left home,". I stood up and walked into the kitchen, placing my empty mug into the sink. I turned around to see he had followed me, "OK but maybe you could at least try to learn to love Christmas again?" he queried. I looked at him. I couldn't believe he was pressing this "Even if I wanted to, I don't have any decorations or anything," "I'm sure we could figure something out!" he said with a slight wink before turning and going off to bed.