6.

RIKER'S  P.O.V.

I shot up straight in bed, "Gator!" I gasped out loud. I threw back the covers and sat on the edge of my bed, my head in my hands. one thing was running through my mind, I had made the worst mistake ever when I left home 5 years ago. I had to go home right now.  Suddenly, I thought of something. I ran into the guest room but the Old Man wasn't there. I went to the kitchen and saw a note on the table.

Went for a walk      -M

I ran to the front door, not caring that I was still in my pyjamas, and threw the door open just as the Old Man was turning into the drive. "What day is it?" I called out to him, "What?" he answered, clearly confused, "What day is it?"  I asked again " Its Christmas eve of course!" he smiled "Finally getting into the Christmas spirit are you?!". I pulled him inside, "I need you to do me a favour," I said, scribbling down a list on a piece of paper "I need you to run to the store and get these things for me," "Um, ok?". I handed him some money and pushed him back out the door. I quickly ran to my room and began to pack m things.

By the time i was done, the Old Man was back with all the things I had asked him to get. Together we wrapped everything and put it all in bags. "Alright!" I said "I think I'm all set!" I looked the Old Man in the eye "I'm going home!" " you might want to look outside," he said, pointing towards the window. I went over and looked out the window. Snow. For the first time in years it was snowing, in L.A., on Christmas. And it was thick. In fact, it was so thick that i might not be able to use my car. crap. Just then, I felt a hand on my shoulder "Don't let a little snow stop you from getting you to your family," he said and suddenly I was filled with determination, i was not going to stop at anything until I was back with my family in Colorado. I went to the shed out back, found a shovel and got to work shoveling the snow from my driveway. The Old Man helped and by the time we were done, the snow had stopped and it was almost midnight. I realized then it would take me at last 4 hours to drive home, 5 if the roads are bad, and another hour to get up the mountain. That meant I would get back just after they finish opening presents (knowing Gator, he'd probably have everyone up at the crack of dawn!). I turned to the Old Man and hugged him tight. His scent whirled around me in the cold air, it was a musty, almost comforting scent, not the horrible one I had expected. There was something strange about this man that I just couldn't put my finger on. But one thing I did know, was that i did not want to say goodbye. After the hours we spent shoveling the snow, I was almost sad to leave him behind, like something was telling me to hold onto him, for just a bit longer. But my heart fought back. I knew I needed to go home. I was gone 5 years too long, it was time for us to be a family again. i finally pulled away, wiping a few tears that had escaped from my eyes. "Thank you. For everything." I said. I tossed him the bungalow keys, "Take them. Stay here as long as you need to," he just smiled "Actually, I think its time for me to move on now. But I'll keep an eye on the place should you decide to return one day." I smiled at him again before hopping into my car, starting the engine and driving off. I was jittery with excitement and nerves and one thought kept echoing in my mind.

'I'm going home!'

A/N 

And I'm back!

Sorry for the wait! I was sick for a while and then there was school work to be done and actual work.

I have exams next week but only for two days. I probably won't be updating on those two days but we'll see!

In the meantime, 

Read, Vote, Comment, and of course....

Stay Strong!

- M