mendoza was here (part one) ◦ luis mendoza

"Camryn, get your head in the game!"

Coach Bombay's voice is initially what retrieved her focus from the daze she had been in since she first entered the locker room that day. Although if you'd ask her, she'd deny ever being distracted in the first place. At least not by him.

'Stupid jerk.' she thought, watching her fastest team mate skate from center ice to the blue line, before drawing his stick back and shooting the puck into the top shelf of the net. The crowd cheered and the boy celebrated, lifting his stick into the air as his teammates skated over to him, patting him on the back.

Camryn sighed, waiting for the next play to be called.

She knew that if it were three weeks ago, after the game the two would've had their own, more private type of celebration.

Of course she knew about the whole 'Don't get involved with a teammate!' rule, but it was all no strings attached- at least, that's how it was supposed to be.

Cam positioned herself across from the opposing team's player, waiting for the ref to drop the puck. She quickly glanced around, her teammates in position, prepared for whatever the outcome of the face off would be. She licked her lips once, and aligned her stick to the opponents.

The whistle sounded and with a quick rush of adrenaline, she hit the puck with the back of her stick, getting it out of the opponents zone. Her veins pulsed as she skated back to center ice, the rinks cool air burning her face. Her coach yelled out a series of plays, which she obeyed before passing it off to Guy.

"Nice moves, hot stuff."

Before she could even turn, the jersey labeled '22' skated around her and toward the blue line.

The crowd suddenly abrupt in cheers, distracting her from the snarky remarks going through her head.

"Goal!!! Guy Germaine, with two assists by Luis Mendoza and Camryn Collins! Ducks win in a 2.5 second OT!"

Her excited teammates surrounded her in a matter of seconds, but she couldn't help but boil with frustration and anger. Just hearing their names together made her fume, she hated him. She hated him so much. Because she knew that she was supposed to hate him. And she hated the way that she didn't.

She wasn't supposed to fall for him, and she hated the fact that she did.