Chapter 4

The bell. It seemed to break the trance. It took them both out of the little world that they were in. It had been a long time since Haley had shared a world with anyone. But it didn't feel wrong. It felt perfect. It felt like he was the missing jigsaw piece. And she was the incomplete puzzle. He started to collect all his belongings. And then he walked out. Not a look back. Juan? Who was Juan? Nothing had ever happened. Full-stop. Period. Whatever. She looked at Linda, she was looking back at her worriedly.

"Babe, are you okay?"

"What ever happened to dude?" Haley groaned.

"I try to be classy," she said smirking. Haley laughed. She hooked her arm with Linda's, and they walked out of class together. Linda sashaying and Haley trying her best to copy. And then she gave up, and they both burst into laughter all over again. How could anyone think that she was perfect?

"By the way, you made him look much hotter in that painting than he actually is."

"Oh LOL. No way... not even close."

"Whatever, but I think you should know that I am pissed at you."

"Wait what!?"

"You were so busy drooling all over that boy that you didn't even pay attention to my painting."

"Oh My Gods, Liiiiiii I am SO sorry."

"Blah blah."

"Classy."

"Oh shut up, you still aren't forgiven."

"Li I am sowwy."

"Oh stop being cute. Damn those puppy eyes."

"Haha," Haley smirked.

"Oh fine, it's okay."

"What was the painting of?"

"Nothing leave it."

"Tellllll."

"Nope, that's your punishment."

"FINEEE."

Haley frowned. And tried the puppy eyes again.

"Not gonna work this time, beautiful," Linda said.

"Damn."

They had reached their lockers. At Haley's locker there was a note.

"Open it," Li said. Always curious.

Haley opened it. It was a poem. She read it out so only Linda could hear.

"Where the sea touched the sky,

An angel was born,

Across the waters lie,

Paradise, with trees that are torn,

I thought I'd have to sail,

To find that place,

But destiny followed me like a tail,

And brought me, my saving grace.

Oh Angel of mine,

I ask you,

How do you shine,

With eyes so blue?

I hope I can bring mirth,

To brighten your soul,

For what it's worth

Loving you is my role.

Oh sweet Paradise,

You are my finishing piece,

With words so wise,

I'll try make peace.

And with these last four lines

All I want to do

Is to say, my heart for you, pines

Because I think I love you."

"Wow."

"Yeah."

"It must be from him," Linda said, emphasizing the must, "I mean with the way he looked at you, and the way he touched you. Love was in the air," Linda continued as she waved her hands in the air.

Weird.

"Are you sure it wasn't between you and Jamie."

"We hardly know each other, we haven't even gone out."

"I don't even know his real name!"

"But you two, you guys are made for each other. The universe wants it. Both of you want it. Jamie and I aren't in love, and might never be. I know we'll never be..." she muttered the last part, ignoring the pang in her chest, "But you two... whole different story."

"You are probably right."

"Like always."

"Oh shut up."

"Well you better get going, if you don't want to be late."

"OH YEAH! English!!"

"Yup, while I am stuck in history."

"Enjoy," Haley said with a falsely sweet smile.

"Will do," Linda said, replying with the same tone. Then they both just chuckled.

As Haley grabbed her books and headed in the opposite direction, Linda's last layer tore. She looked at Haley. Her violet gray eyes filled with forbidden longing. She watched until the last strand of Haley's long hair disappeared as she turned the corner, and then she said, "You. I drew you."

Linda wasn't in love with Haley. No that wasn't it. She just carried Haley's burdens with her. She understood her trust issues, she tried to make her doubts fade away, she tried to do all that she could, to put a smile on Haley's face. Her happiness was the most important thing to Linda. Linda would run ten miles for Haley's happiness. And she hated running. Linda would jump off a cliff for Haley's joy. And she was afraid of heights. Linda would shade herself from sunlight forever if it meant that Haley would never shed a tear in grief ever again. And she was terrified of the dark. The worst days were the days in which Haley was angry. Anger clouded Haley's mind. The only person that had ever managed to make Haley smile when she was angry was Linda. But it took a lot of time, patience and courage to deal with Haley's anger. All of which Linda didn't mind spending, if it made her best friend dissolve her rage. She loved her unconditionally, but not in that way. To Linda, no one was more important than Haley. Haley was her everything. Linda had drawn Haley in a way only her and Haley would understand. Linda had been in Haley's world, she knew how her best friend thought. Linda had sketched a book, and in that book was the sea. It was a beautiful painting. The waves seemed to leap out of the pages. And the pages seemed to flutter in the sea breeze. And if you looked close enough, you would see that the waves were shaped like a human. Haley. Haley WAS the waves that she had imagined. They can be the calmest things on Earth, but when a storm brews and the skies start crying, the waves burst in anger. Devouring ships, capsizing boats. Haley was like that. On her best days, she was beautiful, calm and amazing. And on the stormy ones... well let's just say that Dwayne Johnson would think twice before picking up a fight with an angry Haley. Haley was not perfect. Those who called her perfect were blinded by awe. They loved her for her talent, brains and beauty. Not for her personality. Linda loved Haley with all her imperfections. But if Linda ever succeeded in fixing Haley. In making the shattered pieces of her heart finally combine, then Haley would be perfect. But Linda was indifferent to that. To Linda, Haley's imperfections were as exquisite as her perfections.

Definition #4: Love is when someone accepts your imperfections and perfections.