Chapter 27

They sat on the leaves, Haley enjoying the sound of them crunching. It was... weirdly soothing. Juan sat beside her, their arms, touching. She didn't feel uncomfortable at the contact but she didn't feel right either, so she moved away a little. She missed the frown that appeared on Juan's face as she did so.

"So what do you want to write about?"

"No thinking," she said, as she retrieved her notebook and her pen from her bag.

She started to let the words rush out of her in the form of her neat cursive. Juan observed her and then her words, ideas formulating in his mind on how to continue.

No. He was thinking. He forgot about those ideas and snatched the book from Haley, making her smile. He dropped the words he had in his mind on paper, no restrictions.

Nothing.

Haley read them over his shoulder and laughed. Not at him. But due to her enjoyment of the situation. She snatched the notebook back. Juan protested, trying to grab it again but she ignored him and swatted his hands away.

Contact. No feeling. Only contact.

Neither noticed purply grey orbs scrutinizing their every move. Neither noticed how they narrowed at the sight of them laughing and touching. 

 Linda felt a pang of jealousy hit her side as she watched Haley have so much fun with another person. Linda was a naturally possessive person.

She'd called Haley but she hadn't picked up. She'd then called her father and had found out where she was.

She watched both of them, as quiet as a cat, hiding behind the trees that were scattered all over. Linda tried her best to push down the lump forming in her throat and ignore the burning in her stomach. She tried to be happy that Haley was happy. But it was hard. Hard to watch her laugh, smile and talk with somebody else. There had been too many people in her life that had abandoned her. Her so called 'best friends'. She wouldn't be able to bare it if Haley did the same. She looked at the rose in her hands.

Red petals. Soft petals.

She'd wanted to give it to Haley. Haley loved roses. They were her favorite type of flower. So trying her best to diminish her envy, she emerged out of her hiding place, looking down at the rose petals. And when she looked back up.... she was met with Haley's chocolate brown orbs staring back at her.

Curious.

"Hey Hals," Linda said, trying to plaster a smile on her face, "Hey...Juan."

Juan stared at the rose in her hands. 'Crap does he think it is for him? Well he is in for a surprise,' Linda thought.

Haley smiled. A small smile. Not as amazing as her big goofy grins, but heart-fluttering, nonetheless. She got up from her position beside Juan.

"Hey Li..." she trailed of, catching sight of the rose for the first time. She'd been too mesmerised by Linda's eyes, to notice it before. She walked towards her and stroked the back of Linda's palms with the tips of her fingers, still gazing at the rose.

"Here, it's for you," Linda whispered, her breath making the loose strands of Haley's hair dance.

"I should hope so," Haley replied with a grin. Her goofy grin.

Linda grinned back, "Always darling."

Haley laughed, "Still classy."

Juan cleared his throat. They'd both forgotten that he was there. 'Oops,' Linda thought to herself mischievously.

"Oh... umm sorry," Haley muttered, putting her head down, and walking back towards her spot next to him.