Chapter 17

She was sitting on the balcony of her apartment. And the sky was so blue and the grass was so green that they seemed to insult her. The day seemed so perfect... the world seemed so clear... while her world was facing a storm. It felt like it feels every single time. As if she was a circle thats been cut. As if everything in her body had been unconnected. As if they were all loose strings. And one by one, she pulled each string from her body to keep holding on to the cliff she was following off of.

Haley hit the water and she could feel the immediate effects. Her face, previously feverish now felt cool and her body felt at home. When the tears had started falling, she'd put on a bikini and she'd run from her balcony to the beach. She'd sat in a secluded cave... away from the traffic... away from the people... away from those who had a beating heart and seemingly eternal smiles. 

She hated to see other people so happy while she drowned in this weird misery. That may make her rude... mean even... but it was the truth. Once she'd set her phone in the cave, she'd let the teal sea devour her. She felt the waves, at first resisting her, but then flowing with her. Pushing her to go farther. Pulling her to come deeper. She felt the water above her, below her, next to her... everywhere. It was almost as if she could see more clearly in the water than out of it. And she wouldn't mind giving up her breath if the last sight she saw were these beautiful waves of tranquil colors. She wanted to stay under forever. To let her hair float around her. To let her body be free. She closed her eyes and felt fish tickle her feet. She let go of her clenched fists, she stopped pressing her lips together tightly. She let the water flow freely. She gave the water liberty.

The serenity of Saturday hit him like a wave of happiness. Juan opened his eyes when the rays of the sun, not filtered by the blinds on the windows, hit his eyes. The morning was perfect. It had been three days since he had opened the letter. But he still hadn't digested the words it had contained, because he knew if he did that alone, he would be driven insane. He needed her now. More than anything. But he couldn't tell her just yet.

"What the hell were you thinking?"
It was an amazing sight. Waking up. And the first thing you see are the eyes of the person you adore most. Feeling their lips just leave yours as your own eyes flutter open. Hearing the waves crash onto the rocks nearby. In a private cave away from the rest of the world. So silent. So comfortable. Like your mother holding you in her arms. Not that Haley remembered how that felt. Not to mention, not having to breathe as air was forced into your lungs. 

Linda was crouching over Haley. Her hair perfectly cascading around the sides of her face and the ends of the strands tickling Haley's cheeks. Haley tried to get up but Linda pushed her back down. She entangled their fingers, but glared into her eyes.

"I asked you a QUESTION!"
Haley smiled, a weak, toothless smile and pried her fingers away from Linda's hands. She placed her hand behind Linda's head and pulled her down. Linda fell into her chest, sobbing.
"Haley... I could have lost you... you could've died!"
"That was the plan..."
"How could you say that!"
Linda exclaimed, getting up and walking away from Haley. Haley propped herself on her elbows. "Well it was..."
"I'm not talking to you!"
"You are talking to me now sweetheart."
"I don't care! I am not talking to you, hmph." Linda folded her arms and glared at Haley, pouting.
"Aww come on, of course you are going to talk to me. And no pouting."
"Nope."
"You just did," Haley said teasingly.
"Shut up," Linda said, letting out a backstabbing giggle. 

Haley got up slowly, carefully. Feeling numb all over. She grabbed onto the cave wall for support and trudged over to Linda. She tucked a strand of her beautiful hair behind her ear. Brown, gold and bronze.  "Oh you are so cute," Haley said in a defeated tone. Her eyes twinkling with emotions scattered across them like stars. Haley stopped leaning on the wall. She balanced on Linda instead. It wasn't long before Linda's hands were on her hips, breathing life back into the numb skin, to help steady her. Linda sighed, her breath falling onto Haley's face. With one hand still at her hip, Linda moved the other to her neck, sliding her hand along Haley's sides. Haley shuddered. Her breathing faltered and concern flooded into Linda's eyes.

"I'm fine Li," Haley said letting out a feeble laugh.
"Sure you are," Linda said sarcastically.
"If I was not fine, would I do this..." Haley pulled Linda into her, her hands resting on her shoulders, and they kissed.

 And the sparks never faded when they kissed. Every time the passion got more intense. There were more fireworks each time. Linda tugged at the towel that she had wrapped around Haley while she had tried to revive her. She wanted Haley to be closer. Linda backed Haley up against the cave wall. The water drowned their toes. Haley pulled back. She pushed the rest of Linda's hair back, using both her hands to lift it up behind her head. She trailed small butterfly kisses along her collarbone. Linda felt like every cell on her skin that came into contact with Haley's lips had been electrically charged. Linda placed her chin on Haley's head and went on to her tip toes. Linda was only wearing a bikini but that was a minor technicality. Exposure of Linda's skin didn't make Haley's heart beat faster. Her presence did. She didn't care for materialistic things like looks but Linda didn't lack those either. Linda lacked nothing. It was as if all her cracks had been filled. Some by Haley.

"Li... you are ethereal."
"I have no idea what that means but I have a good feeling about it so i'm going to take it as a compliment." Haley laughed out loud. 

Her boisterous joy was ephemeral. It soon reduced itself into a tranquil smile. And then Haley stopped for a moment. It was as if the world had stopped turning, and they were the only two people left. Holding Linda back, she looked into her eyes and let herself get lost for some time. She let her hair get tangled into Linda's and she finally let her lips fall on Linda's again. Her lips were pink. And they felt as soft as Haley had imagined them to be. Had unknowingly imagined them to be. So this time she tugged. She wanted to be selfish this time. She wanted Linda for herself. She didn't want to share her with anyone. She wanted this beautiful young woman to be her's for as long as she could keep her. But how long that is... only destiny can decide. Haley didn't know how to describe the feeling she felt around Linda. But she knew one thing. She knew that the feeling was amaranthine.

Definition #17: Love is immortal.