Chapter Eight

“Who was that guy this morning?” He said all too fast. I could barely catch what he was saying.

My eyes snapped up to meet his, but they never did. Mike was glaring at the ground with his arms crossed. His jaw was clenching making him look irresistible. His hair was falling in loose strands over his dark blue eyes. I shook my head from side to side. Get a grip of yourself! Stop checking him out! Last thing I need is him knowing I practically eye rape him every time I see him. I tried to search my head for an answer but, nothing came up. Why does he care, why does he even want to know? Should I ask? My eyes snapped to Mikes now tapping foot, showing his impatience. I sighed. I guess asking could be a start.

“Why do you want to know?” There was an unmistakable harshness to my voice that I didn’t hide. I was kind of getting irritated by his impatience. His eyes slowly met mine, his expression blank.

“Does it matter? I am just wondering.” I could tell he tried to keep his voice calm, but I could hear the curiosity leaking through at the end. I smirked at him. At least I know he can’t be as calm all the time.

“Well where to start.” I tapped my chin and faked a big smile. “Rex is a really complicated boy. But, that’s why he is so amazing.” I gushed. Mike looked away from me, glaring into the distance.

“He’s the best boyfriend any girl could ever want. His good looks could stop a truck and the way he smiles is simply heart stopping. Whenever he is gone I feel emptiness, it’s like half of me is missing. Oh, and don’t forget the--” Mike let out a weird noise, cutting me off. I looked over back at him. He was clenching his fists together, staring at me with an expression I couldn’t read.

“So he is your boyfriend?” He asked trough his teeth. I smirked at him and barked a laugh. I picked up my pillow and threw it at him. It hit him square in the face, and when it fell down his expression was wide eyed and priceless. I started to laugh hard. What a joke! He actually believed me.

“Is this funny to you?” his voice was full of anger. Let out a few more giggles before answering.

“Your face was just before!” I let out a few more giggles. “I can’t believe you thought that I was telling the truth! Rex is my best friend! I mean sure he does look good, but I don’t think I can ever think of him as anything else. That’s just how it is.” I shrugged. I stared at Mike as he slowly closed his eyes. His whole body seemed to start to relax. I stared at his muscles that were now not straining. His eyes opened and he met mine, a soft expression on his face.

“So you aren’t dating him?”

“Hell no!”

Mike smiled slowly at me and it gave me a thousand butterflies in my stomach. He looks so amazing when he is smiling. I want to always make him smile… I shook my head, shut up Jazz!

“Oh okay. Well I’ll see you later then?” Mike asked, walking towards my bed. A small blush went to my cheeks. I didn’t look up to meet his eyes until his knees were touching mine. I quickly pulled my legs up onto the bed, never leaving his intense gaze.

“Um…yeah. “ Was all I could manage to say. His hand was brushing lightly over mine and all I could concentrate on was the tingles it sent through my body. I laughed nervously. “The door is that way.” I pointed to my door in case he didn’t get the memo. He smirked at me, and bent down to my face, his hair covered his eyes a little.

“I know.”  I felt my heart rate pick up and my face felt hot. I didn’t break the intense gaze he was giving me. His lips were just barely an inch from mine. I could feel his hot breath on my face, smelling of mint. He leaned in next to my ear. “I just want to leave you with something to think about.” He whispered. I shivered and in what felt like a second, he was out of my room with the door shut.

My brain was going crazy, trying to keep up with how I am feeling at this moment. I grabbed my second pillow on my bed and pulled it close to me. I can’t think about him right now… but I want to so bad. What did this all mean? What did he mean? Why did he want to know about Rex? My brain was going on a constant loop of many different questions, but the main one that kept repeating over and over till I finally fell asleep was; why do I like him? Because, without a doubt in my mind…

I know I do.