Chapter 1

The next morning Reanee woke up to find her disapproving parents standing over her probably thinking how foolish she was. 

"You are too old to be wondering around like a child," Rose accused.

Reanee did not bother to reply as she sat up, since they had the bad habit of ignoring what she said.

"Go get ready!" Roger ordered and Reanee did what she was told.

she put up her book and got dressed. The coming of age celebration was a ritual to place those who were 18 years old where they were destined to be and who they were destined to be married to. It had not been wrong yet and Reanee sensed it would be correct as possible. No man controlled the celebration, only fate. She wondered what  would happen to her. Her senses did not include reading minds or the future, unfortunately. She quickly finished and they headed to the sight of the celebration. Her brothers Ricky and Ryan were carrying her trunk, which of  course held all of her belongings, while Roger held a check in his pants pocket, most likely for her husband to be. Her mother had given her some emeralds as a coming of age gift, which was in her trunk. She wanted to help carry her trunk but it would be against tradition and both of her brothers' pride. Her trunk was placed with the  other trunks, under the watchful eyes of one of the elder's wives. Then Reanee stood next to the other who were 18 years old, as her family sat with everyone else in the village. Her father, like all the other fathers were at the end of the rows, so that they could get up and bestow the checks when it was time.. There were six males and three other females with Reanee on the platform. The celebration began.

The Wise Woman of the tribe stepped forward with her jeweled staff, as her husband, who was the chief, stood up on the podium.

"First the choosing of mates!" the Chief roared. 

The Wise Woman started to hum as she lifted the staff over her head. Reanee was awed at the power she felt coming off the staff. The woman's eyes glazed over with knowledge.

"When she says won will be with whom, those who are called go to the one they are destined for," the Chief ordered.

The Wise Woman pointed at the first male and said a female's full name and her lineage. One of the females next to Reanee went to his side. The next two males the same thing happened. The fourth, fifth and sixth got younger females who were 16. The wise Woman finally pointed at Reanee, but then went silent with confusion. Reanee became afraid. It was a disgrace to not be destined to marry.

Then ....