Chapter 7

"Many will be lost before the year is out. 100 Children younger than 18, but older then 1 will be taken away to live peacefully in death, for a disease unknown to us will attack every child between those ages. A cloud will cover this town and the children will become sick. The grown-up's, with power, children will get it the worse!" Ricky announced loudly, even as sorrow flowed through him.

Tears entered his eyes and he glanced at Reanee. He saw the tears in here eyes and the slump of her shoulders. They both suspected their siblings were destined to die to save seven others. They also realized that the Wise Woman's warning had come a bit late as a black cloud came over them. Reanee brought up a shield around the tribe, but they both knew that Reanee was not strong enough to protect the children. Children started to drop dead.Cries of anguish and fear erupted through out the tribe. It was not long before they saw their younger siblings drop dead. They cried out in anguish. A few minutes after that the cloud disappeared as if it was never there and weeping was heard. 

"The Ceremony is over! Bring down the dead, so that they can have a proper funeral!" the Chief ordered, his voice cracking as the Wise Woman struggled to her feet with Abigal's help.

Everyone helped each other bring down the 100 dead children. They were all situated on the pier and everyone gathered around. Reanee moved to be beside Ricky and Abigal. Every single family had at least lost one child. The Wise Woman prayed and said the Funeral Ritual. then each person sprinkled water on the pier. Then, the Chief sat fire to the pier and everyone weeped once again. A few minutes later.

"Dinner will be served at six,"the Chief announced, filled with sorrow  as the fire died down and nothing was left but ash. 

The wind blew away the ashes. Everyone slowly walked out. Ricky carried his trunk while Reanee and Abigal carried Abigal's trunk. They arrived at Ricky and Abigal's new home. Reanee helped them settle. Abigal was told about Reanee's power and limitations.

"Did you do anything?" Abigal asked, once told, as they walked to Reanees.

"Once the 100th child died, I was able to shield the rest. It would not allow me before," Reanee whispered.

Abigal saw her sister-in-law's pain and believed her. (The Partlows were known to do the best that they could do.) Abigal nodded as they walked into Reanee's home. They donated everything of their siblings, so that other who needed them could use them. Dinner soon came and they arrived together. Everyone got something to eat and sat down. In the beginning it was quiet.

Suddenly...