Chapter 5- The song

Chapter 5

Amber and finn sat and told told stories mostly amber because finn couldn't think of any. They laughed and told jokes to each other until they burst out into laughter. Amber went to go get a snack from the shelf when she fell and slipped on a small object. She got up and picked it up off the ground.

"What is it?" Finn asked

"It's a radio of sorts I think its a cassette player." Amber replied

"Oh do we have any tapes?"

"I don't know..." Amber said as she started looking around for some tapes.

Finn searched his pack. He didn't remember exactly what was in his pack but he knew it was full of old junk. He happened to find in the deep pits of his bag a cassette tape. It was labeled for finn there also seemed to be a note attached to it he took the note off and read it Amber came over to see:

For when you're far from home

Or your sad and alone

This is for you

I'll always be in your heart

-mom

"It's from my mom.." Finn said in awe.

"Put it on." Amber said with a smile

He took the tape and put it in the player and pressed play. The most beautiful song flowed out of the cassette player. Finn grabbed Amber's hand and pulled her close. They tried to slow dance but finn was a bit clumsy and stepped on Amber's feet. She started laughing, until they fell to the ground. They played the song over and over again until amber and finn knew every single word.

"If I could begin to be." Amber began to sing

"Half of what you think of me." He sang back and smiled.

They both laughed and for this moment the completely forgot that they were in an abandoned grocery store in the middle of a ruined post apocalyptic world. They felt like they were a place where all their childhood memories happened they felt like old friends who've known each other since preschool. Even though they only met a few weeks ago. The brightest smiles they've ever made since the tragedy.