Sonic: Sexy Time and Conversations

I practically skip to the door of the restaurant, barely able to contain my excitement. My parents and little brother follow behind me, and I turn around, bouncing on the balls of my feet.

"Hurry up!" I exclaim, too anticipatory to use manners.

"We're coming. Hold your horses, Sonic," Dad says almost grumpily; I've been acting this impatient all day. Smiling back at him, I decide to pass the few seconds I have by remembering how my family reacted when I first told them about my feelings for Shadow--it's one of my favorite crush-confessing memories.

I shuffle nervously in my seat, waiting for my dad to sit down with his plate. My odd behaviour catches the attention of my family, and my mom inquires as to why I'm acting so fidgety. I blush, averting my gaze to the table, trying to build up the confidence to tell them what I promised myself I would. Shadow's expecting me to tell them. He's telling his parents tonight, too, I remind myself, taking a deep, shaky breath.

"So, uh, you guys remember how I have a crush on...er, someone, right?" I ask, referencing the beginning of my school year.

"Of course. Why? Did you get a date?" My dad asks, eyes gleaming brightly. I flush, really wishing Shadow was here with me right now.

"Uh, well, yes, actually, but that's not the point! I want to tell you..." I trail off, pursing my lips.

"You want to tell us...?" Dad prods, and my mom swats him.

"Don't rush him. Sonic will tell us," she says, and I make a pathetic attempt at a thankful smile.

"Right. Uh, I want to tell you...who I have a crush on." I wait for a response, but the only one I get is my family listening attentively.

"Who?" Dad asks after I've paused for a good five seconds.

"Uh..." I smack my forehead into the table, fed up with myself.

"Would it help if we guess?" Mom asks, and I sigh.

"Maybe. I don't know. We could try."

"Amy?" Tails guesses, and I shake my head.

"Rouge?" Dad pipes up, and I shake my head again.

"Julie-Su?" Mom asks, and I wrinkle my nose.

"She's dating Knuckles. And, no."

"Do we know their name?" Dad asks, and I nod. "Have we met them?" I nod again.

"Are they in your friend group?" Mom questions, looking confused. I blush, shrugging.

"...is it Shadow?" Dad asks sheepishly, looking worried I'll get mad at him again.

"Uh, well, yeah..." I respond, scratching my ear.

"Have you changed your sexuality, then?" Mom asks, sounding more curious than anything.

"I...don't know. I always liked girls, and Shadow's the only guy I've ever been attracted to. And, trust me, it's a strong attraction. I've never had a crush this intense. I would always just like spending time with girls I had crushes on. Maybe I'd think about them when they weren't around or would want to kiss them. But, with Shadow? I think about him all the time. I love to look at him, and spending time with him makes me the happiest guy in the world."

"You said you got a date," Dad points out. "So, does Shadow know? Does he like you back?"

"He's pansexual, so, yeah."