Sonic/Shadow: Tricky Revelations

Sonic: An Unexpected Revelation

"Hello?" I ask, holding the phone to my ear as I hear someone pick up.

"Good morning, Sonic," Shadow's adoptive mother says on the other end of the line, and I sigh with relief. She's easier to talk than Tower, that's for sure.

"Good morning, Mrs. Tower. May I speak to Shadow?" I inquire hopefully, wanting to make up for our short phone call yesterday. "Of course, dear," she replies, and I hear a shuffle on the line.

"Sonic?" Shadow's voice asks, and I smile.

"Hey, Shadz! Sorry for that short call yesterday. I hope you're not busy right now."

"Uh, no, just doing dishes," he says in surprise. "Do you want to talk about something?" Pausing for a moment, I realize I had forgotten to think ahead here.

"Um, yeah, I guess..." I fumble, reaching for an idea with a mental grope. "Rouge told me some pretty crazy things over text last night. I'm not sure I believe her..."

"What'd she tell you?" Shadow asks, sounding concerned. I curse myself as I realize it sounds like I've been asking about him behind his back, even though I kind of was.

"Well, she says G.U.N. owns you, but that sounds so outlandish. I mean, is that actually true?"

"Um, yes, that's technically accurate," Shadow responds, and I can just picture the nervous look on his face that always goes with that unusually quiet tone. "I know it's freaky..."

"Not really. I've just come to know Rouge can over exaggerate sometimes," I joke, chuckling to try and make him feel better. He doesn't reply, and I tap my foot, feeling worried. "You know I don't think anything bad of you, right?" I ask, unsure of how to make him less apprehensive but determined to try.

"Yeah, I know," he says, but his response is so shaky that I just know he's not buying it.

"Shadz, I mean it!" I exclaim, wishing I could give him a hug around the shoulder and a kiss on the cheek right now. "Really, I think you're awesome! I hope I can work with you at G.U.N. one day. Saving the world and other things, you know? I might not be the strongest, but I could keep up with you, at least."

"You want to work with me?" Shadow asks, sounding amused now. "That's dangerous, Sonic."

"Only for the slow pokes," I joke again, and he sighs.

"You don't know what you're getting into..." I grimace at his sad tone, internally hitting myself for making a joke like that. And with what happened to Maria, no less! I scold myself, struggling for a reply that will cheer him up.

"As long as I'm with you, I would go anywhere," I say, not sure how else to say this. "Look, Shadow, I don't want you to worry about who you are, at least not when you're around me. I love you, and I'll love you if you tell me your purpose in life is voice-acting in silent movies, okay? So, don't worry."

"They don't talk in silent movies," Shadow chuckles, and I can practically hear him wipe a tear from his eyes.

"Exactly!" I exclaim, grinning. "That's what I'm saying! I'll follow you anywhere, got that?"

"Yeah. Thanks, Sonic," he says, and I smile.

"You're welcome, Shadz. Look, I should go. Amy asked me for help on a community project, something that involves visual aids, and I'm supposed to meet her in fifteen minutes. I wanted to make sure I called you first, though."

"Have fun, Sonic. If you have questions..." Shadow trails off, sounding hesitant. "I'll answer them at some point."

"Alright. See ya', Shadow!" I say happily.