Chapter Twelve

Quick note. ZaynMalikGal4Life changed her username to 1DMeansSomething.

JESSY POV

I don’t know what was going on between Louis and Roxy, and right then, I didn’t care. I mean, we’re going back to Wisconsin. I was going to see my mom and my two brothers! Yeah, when I lived with them, I hated my brothers a lot of the time, but being away from them for about four months was just horrible. I missed them more than I had thought I would.

“I’ll be home in just two hours,” I told Zayn. We were sitting on the couch, and I was showing him my wide collection of James Wolpert cover songs on my iPod. We had just finished listening to my personal favorite, Love Interruption which was originally sung by Jack White.

“Are you excited?” Zayn asked.

“Yeah,” I breathed. “It seems like it’s been forever since I’ve  seen my mom, even though it’s actually only been about four months. But, to see my whole family again, it would just make me feel so happy.”

Zayn squeezed my waist for a second, before saying, “How many songs of James’s do we have left?”

“I have every song he’s ever sung with on here, not just the solos, but the duets and group numbers. That’s twenty-three songs. We’ve only listened to five of them.”

“Wasn’t he on the X-Factor with you?” Zay questioned.

I looked at him furiously. “James Wolpert was not on the X-Factor. He was on the fifth season of the Voice, on Team Adam.”

“Did he win?”

I wanted to slap him so badly. “No, he came in fifth, because stupid America doesn’t know how to vote correctly. He was obviously the best on the show. Yeah, I liked Tessanne and everything, but James was better than her.”

Zayn looked like he wanted to say something, but whatever it was, he obviously thought better of it.

“Let’s listen to the next one then,” Zayn finally said.

An hour and a half later, and Zayn and I had just finished listening to James’s Battle Round performance,  the duet with the third place winner of the season Will Champlin. Although, I had managed to get a version where it was just a solo.

I got up, and then helped Zayn up. “Go change,” I ordered.

“Why?” He sounded so confused, and I chuckled.

“You’re not meeting my mom looking like that,” I said, demandingly.

“What’s wrong with how I look?” Now he sounded offended. I only laughed again.

“Just go change, doofus,” I told him, pushing him towards his room.

I don’t know if that helped the situation right now, or not, but he went to his room. About ten minutes later, he came out in a new outfit. It didn’t look completely different, but I mean, he was wearing a regular jacket, and he had a striped white tee on under it. His pants had to have been made of leather, but I couldn’t tell for sure.

“Is this suitable?” he asked.

“Shut up, doofus,” I told him, smacking his head.

“Don’t ruin the hair,” Zayn said, trying to hit me back. I laughed, and ended up ducking under his hand, just as it would’ve grazed my head.

“What, you can’t hit properly now?” I teased.

“You’re a girl. Maybe I missed on purpose so I wouldn’t hit a girl. You ever think of that, Jess?”

I looked at him, shocked. Not many people called me Jess. Actually, only my family and Roxy (before we started this whole fight thing) had ever called me Jess. Otherwise it was Jessy.

I think Zayn noticed my hesitancy to answer, because he quickly said, “Did I just say something horribly wrong? If so, I’m terribly sorry.”

At that point, Liam walked over to us. “We’re going to be arriving in Marshfield in just a few minutes. And you guys have to be ready, you understand?”

“Yeah yeah,” I muttered, more so to myself. But, I was extremely happy to be going back to Wisconsin. I was happy to be able to see my family and friends again. It was going to be so nice to be able to see all of them again.

As we pulled into the parking lot of the hotel we’d be staying at (because we were staying in Marshfield a bit longer seeing how my family was here), I couldn’t help but notice my brother’s blue Chevy Pickup Truck.

As the limo came to a stand-still, I quickly pushed everyone in the limo aside, and jumped out. When I got out, there stood my brothers, Brian and Brandon, along with my mom. Next to my mom was a guy with a bald head, and glasses. I quickly recognized him as my mom’s boyfriend, Stan. And I recognized the girl next to Brian as Courtney. She was my brother’s ex-girlfriend, so I was a little confused as to what she was doing there.

I ran to my mom first, and gave her a huge hug. “Hi mom!” I exclaimed breathlessly when I pulled away.

“Hey, Jessy,” she said back.

I looked behind me to see the rest of the boys piling out, and Roxy as well. Zayn walked up to me, and my mom looked as us curiously.

“Mom, this is my friend,” I put an empathise on friend, “Zayn Malik. And then the rest of them are Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson.” I practically spat the names of the last two boys. I was still mad at Harry for ruining my coffee twice now, and I wasn’t going to forgive Louis for stealing my best friend very easily.

I think Mom picked up on that rather easily, because she raised her eyebrows questionably.

“Why’s Courtney here?” I asked, changing the subject.

“Brian and her are engaged,” Mom said, smiling.

Wait, what?

Written by @1DMeansSomething

ROXY’S P.O.V

I had locked myself in my room for the rest of the ride and as soon as we stopped I bolted for the limo, getting in first and curling up in the corner, plugging in my headphones and blasting music (mostly Britney Spears) to avoid the awkward silence I could tell had fallen over the group.

For a while Jessy had looked the happiest out of all of us which was a very  rare occurrence and so a little unnerving to say the least.  

She stared out of the darkly tinted windows for most of the journey, an excited smile on her face, but she was the only one.

Harry was looking around the car, mostly between Louis and I, him and Liam exchanging nervous glances whenever Liam looked up from his phone. Niall and Zayn were sat side by side, also communicating with expressions, whenever Zayn wasn’t watching Jessy with some kind of contemplating look in his eyes.

Louis was the worst though, he never glanced up, never met my eyes when I looked over to him, never even speaking to anyone. It was as if over the space of an hour he had become a different person.

By the time we pulled up outside the hotel I was almost as eager as Jess to get out of that limo.

Jessy ran over to her family and introduced the boys, most of them with a deep dislike obvious in her tone, but a few minutes later her overall happiness disappeared and her face fell.

“Brian and her are engaged,” her mom had said, but why would that be a bad thing, wasn’t she happy for her brother, or was she just shocked?

Written by @HopeHummelAnderson