Chapter 6: Going My Own Way

I shook my head. "I...I won't betray anyone. I can't fight against those who raised me. Xander and Camilla, Leo and Elise...we may not be related by blood, but you're family to me."
Xander smiled. "Well said, little princess. What ties us is thicker than blood."
Ryoma shook his head, disappointed. "Kai, what are you saying? Would you really turn against your real family, and side with those who are against us?"
I slightly clenched my right hand with a sigh. "...no. I refuse to fight against you as well. Ryoma...we didn't have all that much time together, but we're still family. You, Hinoka, Takumi, Sakura...I can't fight you on this...or any battlefield."
That then caused Ryoma to smile. "See? We feel the same, Kai."
I shook my head. "You don't get it...I can't side with either of you against the other. I can't betray any of my family."
Xander sighed. "Kai, what are you..."
"Going to do then?" Ryoma said, finishing the sentence.
I sighed. "Both of you, please set your swords aside! There has to be a peaceful solution. If we-"
Xander cut me off. "No! I've had enough, Kai! I can tell what you're trying to do. However, it is my duty to teach you the truth."
Ryoma then tightened his grip on Raijinto. "I won't let you take Kai again! She's finally with her family!"
I grit my teeth, starting to feel helpless. "No! Wait!"
Xander glared at Ryoma. "I won't let you take Kai without a fight. It only seems fair to cross blades with my opposing equal. Now, as heirs of our respective families, why don't we settle this here and now?"
Ryoma smirked, drawing Raijinto from its sheath. "Prepare yourself. I will defeat you for the glory of my kingdom and Kai!'
I looked between the two of them. "Please stop! We can still talk-"
I was cut off as they both let out their battle cries, and started to fight each other.
I grit my teeth. "Nnngh...they'll never listen...but maybe if I step in..."

I sighed. "We'll need to get their attention, but how..."
Azura then spoke up. "I have an idea. What if we defeat the leaders of the groups closest to us? It's sure to grab their attention."
Before I could respond, Jakob ran over to us. "Lady Kai! I'm so glad you're safe!"
I looked at him, surprised. "J-Jakob?! What are you doing here?!"
He sighed. "I've been trying to find you ever since I heard that you were kidnapped. It took a while, but I'm here to help."
That put a smile on my face. "Heh. Thanks, Jakob! I'm so happy to have you."
Jakob then looked around. "Erm who exactly are we fighting right now?"
"Long story short," I said with a sigh, "both armies."
Jakob was clearly surprised. "L-Lady Kai! What have you gotten yourself into?! ...I suppose it doesn't matter. I'll assist you, no matter what."
It did take some time, but the three of us were able to defeat the leaders of each group.

I was heavily panting. "...it wasn't...easy, but...I think it...worked."
Xander glared at me. "Why, Kai?! Why do you turn on us like this? Don't you feel any loyalty, even without blood relation?!"
I sighed. "X-Xander...please just listen to me!"
Ryoma sighed, sheathing Raijinto. "Kai...why did you betray Hoshido?!"
I started to tear up. "R-Ryoma! You don't understand...I haven't betrayed you..."
Xander closed his eyes. "I...always saw you as my sister...damn it all! Spread word among the troops! Kai is a traitor. From this moment, she should be captured on sight!"
I shook my head. "Wh-why...? Why w-won't you listen...?"
Ryoma sighed. "Kai...I still remember the pain I felt when you were kidnapped...I had hoped that one day we could be reunited...I now see that it was just a dream. Tell everyone that Kai is truly lost to us! If she wants to become our enemy, all we can do is fight her!"
I was about to speak up, but Azura stopped me. "Kai, nothing you say will sway them. We need to retreat for now."
With a nod, the three of us fled.

Azura sighed once we stopped running. "We managed to escape...but they're probably on our trail. Kai, you'll lose everything if you don't chose a side."
I shook my head. "No, there's a third option. I can choose not to support anyone. I have family in both kingdoms. I can't stand to hurt any of them."
Azura sighed. "Alright. My mother lost her life protecting Nohr, but she didn't regret it...I'll follow you."
Lilith then appeared. During my time in Hoshido, I learned that she was actually a dragon.
"Oh, Lilith!" I exclaimed.
Jakob sighed. "That isn't Lilith. It can't be."
I shook my head. "It is Lilith. Now come, I have something I want to show you. Lilith, please."
With a nod, she transported us to the Astral Realm.

It took some time, but we explained everything to Jakob.
He nodded. "Hm. Very interesting."
Lilth then spoke up. "Lady Kai, you and your allies will be able to use this astral plane to rest and prepare for battle. It's the most I can do to help you."
I smiled. "Thanks, Lilith."