BETRAYL {Chapter Eight}

In some ways I regret making that alliance. Which alliance would I have been better off with? Peeta or Cato's it all comes down to them 2 and only 1 of us can live. Not very good odds.

If I hadn't made the alliance with Cato I wouldn't have got as far as this I don't think. I can't bring myself to kill someone. Marvel was a reflex and now I feel like the guilt is eating me up inside.

But Peeta would have died if I had left him alone in those rocks. Died from an infection. But aren't we all already dead? I couldn't bring myself not to help Peeta but that alliance could have been the difference between life or death.

'Katniss. Katniss!' I snapped back to reality. Back to the darkness of which I tried so hard to escape. My fingernails hurt from all of the biting I I'd while thinking.

I glanced to Cato for a moment and then to Peeta. Peeta lay peacefully sleeping in front of us. 'Katniss. Can't we just leave him here?' Glaring at him harshly I gulped. 'He is injured and there are 5 of us left. Its for his own good.'

I stood, pushing myself up from the tree. 'No Cato. I'm not leaving him to die!' I shouted. Maybe I shouldn't have shouted, people could hear and come and find us. I didn't want 1 of us dead, let alone all 3.

Cato rose from his sitting position and towered over me. 'It's the most human thing to do.' I couldn't believe him. He wanted someone so caring and kind towards me to die.

'None of this is human Cato! This whole game pits children to fight each other. Where is the human in this scenario?' Cato stayed silent. Then I pushed him and he still stayed silent. The anger welling up inside. I pushed him and pushed him. Then I punched him and Cato snapped. Getting his knife and pulling it on me. His body towering over me, his hand bunched in my shirt. He looked...evil.

Then his eyes softened and he dropped the knife. 'I'm sorry Katniss. I'm so sorry!' The tears began to fall but I was too shaken with fear to even talk.

Off went to canon which drew my eyes to Peeta. I couldn't move to check if he was alive. I needed to get away from Cato. It was all a lie. I knew it. Just wait until the right moment to kill me and good riddance. He knew I'd lead him to Peeta.

I turned and ran away from Cato and Peeta. Not even knowing if Peeta was alive, if the canon was for him. There are only 3 possibilities, Thresh, Foxface and Peeta.

'Katniss! Come back Katniss!' Another canon, there were 3 of us left. The finale was just ahead and I only knew 1 thing.

I need to survive.