DEATH {Chapter Six}

Cato stood before me, battered and bruised. I fell into his arms, and he held me tight. My breathing was still fast. 'Cato...' I spoke, he quietened me with a kiss. 

'KATNISS!' I heard the scream and pulled away. 'KATNISS!' 

'That's Rue.' I said. Before running off I fired an arrow to a bag of apples and with my shaky hands missed. Cato calmed me. 

'You can do it.' I calmed and steadied myself. I shot another arrow and down went the apples, hitting the ground with a thud. I was thrown back onto Cato, and he softened my fall. 

When I sat up I saw the boy with the spear, he was confused. Then Marvel ran to him and almost immediately snapped his neck. I could hear the snap and it scared me. I turned to Cato. 'Rue.' I ran off and he followed. 

We followed the screaming but I stopped after three minutes of running. I whistled the tune Rue had taught me and listen for a reply. There was no screaming, and then the whistle was replied. I ran until I found a clearing. She was trapped under a net. 'KATNISS!'

I ran over and Cato handed me a pocket knife. I cut open the net and she stood. She was breathing fast. Then she showed no emotion at all. She lifted her hand and pointed at something. Before I could look I heard a swoosh sound and something had hit her. I spun around and shot an arrow into the killer. Marvel stood for a moment before falling. 

I turned back to Rue. She was bleeding too much. She looked faint and almost lifeless. I gulped. 'Rue...' The words lingered on my lips. She carefully pulled the spear before falling, I caught her. 

Her hand reaches out and I clutch it like a lifeline. As if it's me who's dying instead of Rue. 

'You blew up the food?' She asks. Cato kneels down next to me and rubs Rue's hand. 

'Every last bit.' He said slowly. 

'You have to win Katniss.' Rue said looking to me and then to Cato. 'Cato wants it too, it's not just me.' Rue manages.

'I'm going to. Going to win for us now, for all of us.' I hear the cannon fire for Marvel. Rue tightens her grip on Cato's hand. Cato squeezes back. 

'Don't go.' She says. I can feel the tears beginning to form in my eyes. 'Sing.' I can feel Cato's eyes on me. I lift her head onto my lap and stroke her hair. 

I give a small cough, swallow hard, and begin:

Deep in the meadow, under the willow

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow

Lay down your head, and close your eyes

And when they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, and here it's warm

Here the daisies guard you from every harm

Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true

Here is the place where I love you.

Rue's eyes fluttered shut. Her chest moves but only slightly. My tears begin to fall. I have to finish the song for her.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away

A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray

Forget your woes and let your troubles lay

And when it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe, and here it's warm

Here the daisies guard you from every harm

The final lines seem almost inaudible. 

Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true

Here is the place where I love you.

Cato let's go of her hand and pulls me to him, I am crying hysterically now. 

I stand. Cato stares up at me. 'Katniss...' 

'Peeta said to me...Only I keep wishing I could think of a way to ... to show the Capitol they don't own me. That I'm more than just a part of their games. And I want to show them.' 

I march away and find a bunch of wild flowers. I begin picking them and surrounding Rue in them like they symbolize a coffin. She looked peaceful. Then I placed a bouqie in her hands and looked at her. 'Bye Rue.' I said calmly. I then give Cato a look, a look that showed my love for him and my hate for the games. 

I kissed my three fingers and raised them at a camera that I spotted. They would have to show me doing this. This was my salut to all of those lost in them god forsaken games. My way to show them that I'm more than just a part of their games. 

I then put my arm down and walk to Cato who holds me close like I want to be, I want to be loved, I want to be his. But we can't, after all there is only one victor and I know that Cato and Peeta will do anything to get me to win, even if they hate each other. 

~.~

Right guys, I would like to say thanks for all the votes and reads. I began this ages ago and then recently got back into it after people were begging me to write more. 

In this chapter I did use most of the book. I didn't want to change much of Rue's death, I wanted to stick with the book but include Cato as he is a main part.

So what do you guys think? What'll happen to Thresh, Foxface, Cato, Peeta and Katniss? They are the only ones left now. Oooooooooh. 

Just to make this even sadder and make you cry. Read this while listening to the song on the side there. ------------------>

It is a cover I know but it is just as beautiful. 

Thanks and goodbye...

Georgia

xoxo