ALLIANCE {Chapter Seven}

5 of us were left. 5. I had a 1 in 5 chance of winning the games and gaining my freedom but it was too stupid for me to think that way. Why think that I could live when I wanted Cato to live. 'Who is left?' I asked Cato as we walked through the woods, hitting branches to clear our path. 

I had no idea where we were heading. 'Us 2, Thresh, Foxface and...' Cato paused and took a deep breath. 'Peeta.' I blinked a few times, trying to process that. I felt Cato's eyes on me, boring into my head. I guess he was trying to work out what I was feeling, what my emotions were towards Peeta. 

Truthfully I felt something for Peeta, I had a sort of protection over him. Peeta, after all was from my district. I wanted him to live. Peeta also told me about wanting to die himself, making me do the flowers for Rue. I defied the Capitol from the words he spoke. Peeta was someone that I could trust, well until I saw him with the careers. 

But Cato is technically a career, how can I trust Cato? You love him, you can trust him. Peeta was from my district. I could trust him more than Cato. Who says that Peeta was even with the careers at his own will. At that moment he wasn't with the careers because they were all dead and Rue said he was by the lake. 'We have to find Peeta.' I said quickly, the words were released before I could stop myself. 

I met Cato's glance that was soft and caring. Not the exact expression I expected to see. 'Katniss...'

I stopped him short, 'Let me just help him.'

'Katniss, there are 5 of us left. Now isn't the time for alliances.' Cato snapped at me. 

I gawped at Cato, so many thoughts running through my mind. Maybe Cato was right, alliances were not wise so far into the game but Peeta might be injured. If Cato or I cannot live to see another day I wanted Peeta to. Peeta had a family, he had to go home and help both his family and mine. If Cato won then he couldn't help my family, he would return to his own family and be forced to live his life in solitude. 'Please. If I can't get home. He can. Then he can help my family. Pass my messages on.' 

'Couldn't I do that?' I closed my eyes for a moment. 'Katniss, you mean the world to me. I would do anything you wanted me to.' I stared at him for what felt like forever. 

'Then why won't you do this?' Cato sighed. 

'Do you have any idea where he is?' I gulped, the memory of Rue fresh in my mind when the question was asked. Relieved and saddened by the question I tell him where Peeta might be and we set off. 

The trail of blood led us there. It started on the rock and we followed it until it stopped and I couldn't see anymore. My hopes were down and I went to turn to Cato when something grabbed my leg. I screamed out and Cato pulled me away, pulling his knife out for protection. 

I looked down and saw eyes flutter open. Then In realize who it is. 'Peeta!' I threw myself down to the ground on my knees, then I pulled rock from around him; freeing him. He was covered in rock and his hair covered as well. 

Cato glanced over at me with a worried look and then looked back to Peeta, the hate clearly displayed on his face.

The new question is, which one is going to live? 

Cato or Peeta? 

Which one would I give my life to live? 

The one I love or the one I trust?

But which is which?