Chapter 1: Questions

"Life's a bitch, so if its easy, your doing it wrong"
- Rin Okumura, Blue Exorcist

     "That is the fifth time this week Sophia!" Michelle yelled. "That's once every school day." We were walking home from school. It's been a month since Mike has gone to jail. And I wish I could see him just so I could get some questions answered. But what's the point if the only way I can talk to him is if he breaks out of jail?

     "I know." I answered. My parents and I have been getting into arguments lately. And they were always about my safety. 'No! It's too dangerous!' They would say. And I would always answer with 'If anyone tried to mess with me i'll use my abilities.' But they were never convinced. At least my mom wasn't. Hell, I can't even go on a walk without my parents going ape shit. I guess I can't blame them. I'm their only child, so it's no wonder why they're so protective.

     "Let me guess. They worry too much?" Michelle stated.

     "Bingo." I say. "It's annoying as all hell. I keep telling them I can protect myself but..." I sighed and shrugged.

     "Well, I don't blame them." Michelle said under her breath.

     "What?" She looked at me surprised. Like I wasn't supposed to hear that remark.

     "I worry about you too." She said sternly.

     "Practically all of you guys do. And you don't have to." I answer.

     "Sophia I saw that hole in your chest." I stopped walking when I was ahead of her and sighed. "You should have died then... But-"

     "But instead a demon awakened?" I said. She stood behind me, I didn't face her.

     "Sorry..." She said. It was quiet for some time.

     "You know, that isn't fair." I say. "Any time you say that I don't have a right to talk back." I set my hand over my chest and feel the scar. It hurt a bit since it got a bit reopened when I fought Mike.

     "So how's your arm doing?" Michelle asked changing the subject.

     "It's good." Oh yea, I never got another metal piece implanted. There was no point to have one if I could just melt it off my body easily now. The rest of the walk home was quiet. We were both listening to music on our phone which was probably 99% of the reason why we didn't speak to each other. We said our goodbye's when we got to her house. Once I made it home I didn't talk to my parents, I went straight to my room. I started thinking, what now? Mike is gone. But what if there's more people with abilities? I remembered back to right before my grandmother was killed. My grandfather said he had an army of some sorts. Right after he said that my friends and I were taken away by a bunch of people. If there were people working for my grandfather, then this war still isn't over. Chances are those people are alive. I have questions that need answers dammit! Oh well.

     I fell asleep on my bed and when I woke up it was 8 pm. I felt fully energized and felt like walking around outside for some fresh air. I walked into the living room and saw my dad watching TV while my mom was either cooking dinner or cleaning it up. I wouldn't be surprised if I slept through dinner. "Hey mom I'm gonna around walk outside for a bit." I said.

     "Absolutely not." She said.

     "Why not? I can protect myself!" My mom wouldn't ever let me out of her sight anymore. It's a parent's biggest fear, losing their child. Even more so when you're their only one. My parents, specifically my mom, treated me like a misbehaving toddler now. They feared that if they looked away for a second, their child would fall and break their head open.