Chapter 12: Chance

It was the longest walk of my life. Michelle and I were quiet the entire time, until I sparked up a conversation when we were halfway there. "Are you okay?" She nodded her head slowly saying yes. I couldn't take it anymore. "What was the nightmare about?" She jumped slightly at the question.

     "N-Nothing important."

     "Hm." I had a feeling I knew what happened. Because since we've started walking, she's had her hand over her gun the entire time... "Did I try to kill you?" When I turned to look at her, her eyes were widened. She probably thought I read her mind. "Thought so..." I faced forward again and we continued walking.

     We made it to the High school in, fucking, record, time. Michelle and I's talk didn't last long, but to me she seemed like she was okay now. We were the last ones there. Mike, Osiris and the other two girls were relieved to see us. Mike's wound from earlier was almost fully healed by this point. "Hey, is he here?" I asked.

     "No. Not yet at least." Osiris answered me first. But he jinxed us. A flash of lightning and XXX was back. I turned to my right to face him.

     "Hey!" I called out. "What the H-E double hockey sticks was THAT bullshit nightmare for if you were just going to attack us again when we came back!?" He just stood there with his hands behind his back. "Also, why did you decide to give only her a nightmare?" I yelled towards him while pointing to Michelle.

     "You've known her longer than anyone else here... right?" He questions.

     "Yea... So?" It was then I knew what he was doing. He started raising his right arm. "Michelle look out!" Michelle instantly pulled out her lasso, but a lasso wouldn't deflect a bolt of lightning. No matter how powerful. Instead of it hitting her I pushed her to the ground and the bolt ended up slashing me. Everyone saw where I got hit, but I didn't feel the pain until later...

Michelle's POV

     Sophia fell right next to me on her hands and knees. Everyone saw it. And I could hear Ryan gaging like he was about to puke in the earpiece. Sophia's glasses were on the ground still in tact. He had cut her eyes...

Caitlin's POV

     "Holy shit!" Rachel screamed. Sophia was on her hands and knees and the only movement coming from her was her heavy breathing. No one was able to see her eyes since her long hair was covering her face.

     "Oh God..." I heard Osiris mumble. I ran to pick up Sophia's glasses and kneeled in front of her.

     "S-Sophia! Why would you do that?!" Michelle asked while sitting up. But Sophia said something before Michelle could do anything.

Sophia's POV

     I raised my hand slightly to hush my friends. I slowly looked up and smiled at Michelle. "Thank God for glasses, huh?" The attack just missed my eyes. In fact, most of the impact had just skimmed my glasses. I guess from the others angles it looked as if my eyes had been cut. Caitlin handed me my glasses which were somehow okay. I put them on and stood up.

     "You scared the sh- crab out of me!" Michelle yelled at me. That was the closest I heard her to actually swearing.

     "Michelle it's common knowledge that if someone here is able to heal faster than the average human they should take a bullet for someone!" I explained. She sighed.

     "Okay that was DISGUSTING I THOUGHT HE HIT YOUR EYES I NEARLY PUKED." Ryan had a thing for eye stuff. You could say the words stick and eye in the same sentence and he'd cringe. "Anyways,you guys should beat up this punk while he's here." Ryan suggested. I cracked my knuckles.

     "Agreed." I answered with a smirk.

     "Sophia don't get too cocky or else you'll die." Mike says.

     "Thank for the reminder." Mike started to attack first. Then Osiris attacked and it was practically a system from there. Mike knew he was the most effective, so he was working the hardest out of all of us. But that came with a price. Eventually his attacks were getting weaker and he was getting more tired. At one point, XXX had a clean shot to Mike's heart, but Caitlin threw one of her knifes and it hit XXX in the center of his hand, stopping his attack. Mike looked at her surprised.

     "T-Thanks!" He hollered out. Caitlin gave him a thumbs up in response.

     "Mike relax for a sec!" I called out to him. It was time for Osiris and I to take over. For only 6 months, Osiris was good with his abilities. The two of us managed to get some good hits in. But eventually the two of us got tired like Mike did. Though I could tell that XXX was getting tired as well. Rachel managed to shoot him through the shoulder with her crossbow, and when Michelle used her lasso to keep his hands behind his back like handcuffs, that was our chance, Caitlin's chance actually. For she was the one with the weapon of death. "Caitlin!" I called out. "Now's your chance!" At first she was confused. Then she remembered the red lethal knife she had. Mike ran over to Michelle to help keep the lasso around his wrist. Caitlin gripped the knife in her right hand and ran towards XXX. When she thought she was close enough to hit his heart she threw the knife. My heart stopped for a split second. As the knife flew out Caitlin's hand everyone watched it fly through the air. XXX had no way to stop it.

      "CAITLIN MOVE!" I heard Osiris yell. Osiris ran past me and tried to get to Caitlin. But it was too late. From the sky a bolt of lightning struck the ground right next to her. Just barely missing her arm. Caitlin screamed slightly and fell to her side. My eyes widened. Michelle was so focused on Caitlin that she completely forgot about the lasso. XXX managed to get his wrist out of the lasso. Everyone completely forgot about him and gathered around Caitlin. She was passed out in Rachel's arms. She was alive, but hurt. Even though she wasn't struck, her arm was bleeding a lot. "Hey! Caitlin!" Rachel called out. But there was no response. My hand was in a fist as I stood up and faced XXX. There was fire surrounding my entire body.

     "Sophia..." Michelle said while looking at me. I looked down at her. "Get him..." I nodded at Michelle and looked at XXX.

     "Ha... You're gonna regret that..." He was rubbing his now bloody wrist.

     "You guys have done a lot better, compared to the last battle." Was the only response I got from him. Then he was gone. Just like last time, it was in a flash of lightning. I was actually glad he left. As much as i wanted to kick his ass, I wanted to be by Caitlin's side too. I got rid of my flames and rushed to Caitlin. Rachel was trying to cover up Caitlin's bleeding arm.

     "Here." I took off my jacket and gave it to Rachel. She wrapped it around her arm.

     "Guys, is there anyone around us?" Rachel asked.

     "Not seeing anyone." Joey said.

     "You guy are clear." Ben added. I sighed in both relief and anger. Relief because he was gone, anger because he was still out there.

     "Lets just head to the base." Mike ordered. We all nodded. Rachel ended up carrying Caitlin on her back as we all walked back to base.