One

Eva Cipriano

The buzzing sound of my alarm clock works its way into my dream, before waking me up. When I realize it's time to get up, my hand feels around my end table, and finds it.

"Off." I sigh with half my face smushed into my pillow. I lift my head, barely opening my eyes and let out a groan. I flip over and lay on my back, staring at my ceiling, brightened by the sun coming through my window. With a long drawn out sigh, I sit up and toss my duvet off my lap. The fresh morning air clinging to my body as I lift my arms above my head, stretching. I grab my phone from next to my bed, scrolling through my notifications.

4 text messages
A couple Instagram notifications
A shit ton of game notifications

I clear all of them and open Spotify, clicking on my 'good morning' playlist. The melodic music fills the silent air and a small smile stretches across my lips. I stand, walking to the bathroom and flip the switch on.

"Oh good lord." I grumble and laugh lightly when I look at my reflection. I gently drop my phone on the counter and then turn the faucet on, rinsing the sleep off of my face. Soon after, I'm grabbing my brush and dragging it through my hair. My sleepy curls get brushed out and end up turning into frizzy waves. My hands work their magic, and I'm left in a cute messy bun. I begin to sing along with my music as I grab my toothbrush and go to work. Then grabbing my make up and applying what little I actually wear.

Mascara
Lipgloss
And I finish with my eyebrows

BANG BANG BANG!

I hear from the living room. I walk out of my bedroom and into through the living room to my front door. The banging continues and I groan, rolling my eyes.

"I'm coming!" I holler and get to the door, working the locks and opening it. Outside is a man in brown shorts and a brown shirt holding a box.

"Good morning, just sign here please and I'll be off." He days with a smile, handing me a tablet. I scribble my signature on the electronic clipboard and hand it back, earning me a package.

"Thank you" I mumble and smile as he walks away. I was holding the package in both hands while kicking my door shut behind me. A small smile making its way to my mouth as I walk to my kitchen to set the box down on the granite counter.

"Finally." I let out a small sigh and turned around to the knife block, pulling out a small knife. I made my way back to my box and sliced the tape open. The aroma spewing from the box filled the air and a little laugh echoed through the room. I reach inside the box and pull out a bottle of my favorite perfume.

"Oh baby, I cannot wait to use you." I laugh and set it down on the counter. I continue to pull out the rest of my goodies and set them all down on the counter.

I quickly grab the warm vanilla sugar perfume and walk to my room to finish getting ready. Within about ten minutes I'm dressed and greedily spraying on the wonderful scent I've come to love.

Perfect. I think and grab my purse and phone. I leave my room, gently closing the door and walk through my one bedroom apartment. Before I leave I grab my keys from the little bowl on the table. My hands work the lock as I secure my home and walk down the hallway towards the elevator. I'd like to think that I lived in a pretty nice area, a five story apartment complex in downtown New York I lived on the third floor, and my only friend in the building lived on the top floor.

"Biiiiiitch, look at you lookin all happy." His voice echos out from the elevator and I smile.

"Hey Jimmy, hows Henry?" I ask and step in, pressing the button for the lobby.