Eighteen

Eva's pov

A flickering light above me causes my eyes to open. I groan, glaring at the fluorescent lights someone just turned on.

"Good morning Eva. How are you feeling?" I hear doctor Johnson's voice, then I see him peak his head around the curtain.

"Morning doc, I was sleeping peacefully. So, tired." I say sarcastically, with a sprinkle of pettiness. He just chuckles and sighs.

"Well, I could leave you alone. Or. I could give you this present I brought for you." His left eyebrow curves upward as a geeky smile spreads across his face. Doctor Johnson was fairly young. I'd say early thirties probably. He had olive skin, with brown eyes, glasses, and a very nice face. He's attractive. But he's a nerdy doctor so once you get to know him it ruins it.

"What present?" I ask, not being able to contain my little smile. His smile widens and he sighs.

"Well I was hoping for a little more excitement. Buuut, here it is!" He says excitedly and pulls around a tray of food with a little bag on the corner. I haven't eaten an actual meal in days. I hear my stomach growl and my mouth starts watering the more I look at the food.

"Doctor Johnson. You. First of all. I love you. Give me that food!" I yell and have an almost anime character reaction. Ever seen Naruto? Well I'm about to be like Choji and devour this food with no hesitation.

"That's a better reaction." He laughs as he brings over a little hospital table with the tray on it. There's rice, pasta, salad, fruit, some things I don't even know, jello, milk, orange juice, and water.

"Really giving me the hospital special doc. But thank you. Really." I smile and he pays my shoulder.

"No problem. I know how it is after not having a warm meal for days. And, you're my favorite patient. What can I say." He shrugs and throws his arms out to the side.

My eyes drift over to the little bag and I can't help but feel like I should open that before eating.

"And what is this?" I ask with a sly grin. I grab the bag and look up at the doctor. Is he blushing? Is this man actually blushing? I squish my eyebrows together and look back down, shaking my head a little. I can't help but laugh a little as I open the bag. I pull the single tissue paper out and inside is a little snow leopard stuffed animal. I pull it out and smile.

"Aw, thanks doc." I say and look up at him. He's clearly nervous? I'm confused but he acts like a man in his early twenties, a very naive young man.

"I know it's childish, but snow leopards are very independent animals. They don't live in packs or anything, they survive on their own. Have families. Then the kids go off and live on their own. You remind me of a snow leopard. You're a very strong, independent, and yet caring person. I know you never would've imagined yourself ending up here. But not all of us are bad. Alexander has been lost for a long time. I've never seen him be so good to anyone before. Except when he was younger. Anyways, I think you could be the light he needs in this dark life. And like a snow leopard, I think you could be capable of enduring this dark path with him." He says as a tear glides down my cheek. I stare at him in awe through blurry eyes.

"Wow doc, I never knew you were so insightful. I, I don't know what to say really." I trail off and look at the little leopard. I reflect on what the doc just said. About me, about Alexander. He really does have a grasp of the whole picture here.

"You're welcome Eva, I know it's hard. But just don't give up on him. On yourself. Just keep moving forward," he stops, sighing and turns around, "Sometimes that's all any of can do in life." He finishes as he walks away. That last line give my heart a little jab, and I feel bad for the doctor. He really isn't a bad guy. He's just living in a world of criminals. Just like I now am. I sigh and then remember the food sitting in front of me.