Chapter 8: Meeting

The three girls walked silently through the front yard, making their way to the house. Haruna stared at Mami's back in front of her, seeing the family name written on her black coat, and she couldn't really define what she felt by being in that girl's presence for the first time. She looked at Rina by her side, and she seemed happy. Maybe that was because Mami had finally accepted help.

They reached the house and took off their shoes before stepping into the living room, and Haruna immediately noticed the shougi board over the low table on the center. It looked like one of the players was simply stomping on the other, and Haruna had a solid idea of who was who.

- We're still preparing the breakfast... - Mami turned around to face them - You can wait here if you want, or you can come with me to the kitchen, I don't mind.

- "We"? - Haruna asked, and Mami nodded - Did you let Tomo cook?

- Yes.

- And the house didn't catch on fire? - Haruna was stunned, but Mami just gave her a small smile - What kind of miracle is happening here?

- She's not the ginormous disaster that you think she is. - Mami said in her characteristic calm tone, but Rina could feel the sting and immediately looked at Haruna. The shorter girl frowned at the blonde.

Rina didn't expect for the tension between those two to start so soon, but it seemed like that was going to be the way. She went on alert mode and watched them carefully, and she knew very well that Mami knew what was running through her mind. What was the blonde thinking anyway? Didn't she realize already that Haruna was a very complicated person to deal with? Why did she have to start on that kind of comment so early?

- Oi, Mami! - they heard the high-pitched voice coming from somewhere else in the house - I don't know where you keep some of the stuff!

- Ok, you can stay here or come along. - Mami said again with a courteous smile, and went walking to the kitchen - Either way it's ok.

As she walked again, Rina took her first steps following her, but soon enough she was held back by Haruna. The taller girl looked back in shock, seeing Haruna's hand holding on her arm like that. She didn't expect Haruna to touch her.

- Wait a second. - Haruna said in a low tone, and watched as Rina's face showed her surprise - Is she always like that?

- Like that... how?

Haruna closed her eyes and huffed, and Rina almost laughed. That girl was already bothered and she had just talked to Mami for the first time a couple of minutes ago.

- Does she always make it perfectly clear that she knows what you're thinking?

- Oh, yes she does. - Rina had to hold herself not to giggle as Haruna finally let her go. She didn't want to be the target of her anger that morning - It's better if you get used to it quickly.

Rina walked to the kitchen shortly after that, having Haruna following her closely, and opened a big smile when she entered the place and saw the two girls preparing breakfast together. Mami looked comfortable around Tomomi, Rina could tell just by observing them for a couple of moments.

- Hey, Haru! Rina-san! - Tomomi turned to see them and waved happily, and Rina waved back at her.

- I'm sorry I didn't come to pick you up last night. - Haruna said, stuffing her hands into her pockets - We got more problems than we expected there.

- It's ok, Mami is really nice and let me stay over.

- I can see that.

When everything was ready, Tomomi placed the breakfast for them to eat right there in the kitchen table while Mami washed things in the sink, and soon all four of them were sitting around the table. Haruna and Rina sat at one side and across from them were Tomomi and Mami.