Chapter 20: Attraction

If Tomomi still needed proof that Mami was overly sweet and really wanted to please her, that would be a big one. They were now sitting side by side into the huge ofuro filled with hot water.

After that whole conversation with Rina, Tomomi’s mind went through a long road. First she was almost jumping in joy because the swords existed and there was one really close to Haruna and Rina, but after going through that big bolt of joy, she started to worry about the fact that Haruna would have to break into the National Museum. Tomomi wouldn’t worry about Rina, she certainly knew what she was doing, but Haruna was a different story. Haruna was a trouble-solver, a fighter, not a stealthy girl. Tomomi was deeply worried about the possibility of her friend getting arrested.

However, after she calmed down, her mind wandered in a completely different direction. She was imagining if Haruna was ok being in an onsen with Rina and a woman with whom she fought just a couple of nights before. Then she thought it was unfair that she was never able to drag Haruna with her to an onsen and this nekomata simply showed up and did just that, and the next step for her mind was to wonder about Mami again.

Of course, with Mami in the same room, she felt much more than just awkward. But the blonde just giggled at her, despite having some clearly embarrassed reactions.

She really didn’t expect Mami to agree with that. The only thing was that Mami made Tomomi promise she wouldn’t look at her when out of the water. That was fair enough, she thought. She really just wanted to have a nice ofuro-talk, not an excuse to spy on Mami. So far so good.

Though Tomomi couldn’t help noticing that Mami had reached behind her injured shoulder while asking her not to look. That made the brunette think her attitude had more to do with that large scar than anything else.

She looked over at Mami by her side, and saw her leaned back against the ofuro with her left arm out of it, keeping her injured shoulder out of the water. The blonde had her eyes closed and her expression was calm, peaceful, almost as if she was sleeping.

- I won’t fall asleep in here, don’t worry. - Mami said and smiled, her eyes still closed. Tomomi chuckled.

- In any case I’d just have to wake you up.

- Yeah… - the blonde opened her eyes, and with that her expression changed. Now she looked worried. - I don’t feel right about this whole thing…

- Y-you don’t?

Tomomi’s stutter made Mami face her with a sweet smile.

- I mean the museum thing, not being here with you.

- Oh! Right…

- I don’t feel comfortable knowing they’re taking this kind of risk just to help me. Rina can certainly find her way out of a possible mess, but if Haruna ever gets arrested it’ll ruin her life.

- I’m worried too, but we have to trust them. - Tomomi said and sighed, looking up at the ceiling - Haru wouldn’t do it if she thought it’s impossible or if she didn’t find it important.

Mami closed her eyes again and chuckled, shaking her head.

- It’s interesting how you’re so worried and yet you keep trying to look at everything in a positive way.

- I’ll go crazy if I don’t do that, Mami. And, I don’t know, there’s that Tomoko woman with them, maybe she’s going to help.

- Let’s hope so… - Mami sounded so miserable that Tomomi looked at her again. The blonde had lowered her face, looking down vaguely at the water - I never meant for anyone to get in trouble because of me. Enough people got hurt because of me already.