Chapter 11: In the Cat House

Info:

Daiginjo – type of sake that’s kept and served cold.

Pachinko – the Japanese slot machines, though they’re kinda different from slot machines and are presented in all forms that people can imagine, having anime themes and all. It is considered a form of recreation and also gambling.

Salarymen – putting this here ‘cause a friend didn’t understand when I used this word the other day. It’s the way the Japanese call the regular office workers.

Nekomata – youkai cat with two tails. Nekomata can be either domestic cats who turned into nekomata after a long life, or natural youkai that usually live in the mountains and are really big and scary. These from the mountains are also known for shape shifting into human forms, but unlike the kitsune they’re not usually just little tricksters or thieves, they are seen as purely dangerous. Usually they are portrayed attacking and killing people brutally in legends and art.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a light breeze that morning, something that made Haruna feel better about having to travel around with Rina. She liked that kind of weather, not too sunny and not too "ugly" as well.

Haruna found it very interesting when Mami offered to take all of Tomomi's things inside, and watched her until she disappeared into the house with the huge trunk full of Tomomi's clothes. Rina had gone after her, and that left Haruna and Tomomi at the front gate, the taller brunette now carrying her purse and her backpack that Haruna handed to her.

- Are you going to be ok here? - Haruna asked, and Tomomi nodded with a smile, throwing the backpack over her shoulders - Right, I won't worry then. Just promise me you won't do anything stupid.

- You're the one who have to promise me that. - Tomomi said with narrowed eyes - I'm actually worried about you being on the road with Rina-san.

- Why do you say that?

- Because you're horrible to her, and fighting inside of a car in a road trip is not something wise.

- Wow, thanks.

- Am I lying? - Tomomi messed with Haruna's hair, and the shorter girl slapped her hand away, making her giggle - Please, don't do anything stupid. And call me when you get to Tokyo, and when you find something. If you do.

- I swear I'll try. - Haruna then saw Mami and Rina coming back, already in the living room - And you Tomo, try not to get too much all over Mami.

- Huh?! - Tomomi looked shocked, and Haruna grinned at her.

- I'm telling you, if you think her voice is cute... Girl, then you'll think everything else is too.

With that, Haruna patted Tomomi's shoulder and headed out of the gates, taking a last glance at her now furiously blushed partner and waving at her. She also faced Mami again and their eyes met. The blonde let out a heavy sigh, so Haruna figured she was conscious of what she just said to Tomomi.

She walked to the truck that was parked in front of the house and got inside, and saw Rina saying something to Mami before heading over to Tomomi and giving her a light hug, with that black cape swirling around her as she moved. Tomomi smiled widely and Rina walked out of the gates as well. Haruna did notice before that Tomomi and Rina were becoming friends. Tomomi seemed to like her even if Haruna kept telling her that she shouldn't trust kitsune.

Rina got into the truck and sat down by Haruna's side, closing the door and waving at both girls one last time before Haruna started the engine.

Soon, they were driving away from Mami's house.