Chapter 29: Change of attitude

As the rain got stronger outside, Haruna kept observing the scenery in silence. She was sitting on the floor in the living room, at some distance from the open door which allowed for the water drops to splatter a little bit into the house. At first she wasn’t really that much worried, but things were changing slowly as the hours passed.

She remembered how sensitive Tomomi was to being cold. She sincerely hoped those two were in some temple right now, and not under that heavy rain. The last thing they needed was a sick Tomomi.

With a sigh she turned her head and looked at Mami lying on the floor with a cushion under her head. The blonde was lying on her side with her back turned to Haruna, and her cat was curled next to her. Haruna couldn’t tell if Mami was sleeping or not, all she knew was that Mami had been in absolute silence ever since Rina had come to her earlier with a weird tube in her hands, saying that Mami had to let her help so her face wouldn’t bruise that much. Haruna watched quietly when the kitsune carefully applied whatever it was from that tube over Mami’s face, and it reminded her of the times when Rina helped her after the yuurei attack and after the fight with Tomoko.

After that, Mami just thanked Rina and lied down on the floor without saying another word. Rina asked her if she wanted to go to her room, but she just shook her head negatively. Haruna asked if she wanted her to bring a futon to the living room, but Mami just shook her head again. After that, neither of them tried anything anymore.

Haruna figured Mami was worried, besides probably feeling like crap after Sojobou’s little test. Mami had to be worried, she spent half of the way from Mt. Kurama to her house looking back over her shoulder. Maybe she regretted leaving Tomomi there with the King.

After a couple more minutes of only listening to the rain, since Rina had disappeared into the kitchen to fix them something to eat, Haruna finally moved from her spot. She dragged herself rather slowly over the floor towards Mami, coming to sit down by her side with her knees flexed up and her arms over them. For some reason she got the feeling that Mami wasn’t asleep.

Just a moment after her action, Mami moved and turned to face her. Now they were staring at each other in silence.

- Of course I’m worried. - Mami mumbled while Haruna watched how red the right side of her face was. It was even beginning to get darker, so maybe Rina was right in worrying about the bruising.

- It’s kinda hard not to worry after everything, huh.

Then Mami moved again, this time sitting up while being careful enough not to disturb the cat that was actually sleeping by her side. Haruna observed as the blonde ran her hands over her own hair and sat by her side.

- Shouldn’t you be resting? - Haruna started, and Mami shot her a tired look - Really, you should be in your room, on your futon. You’re a mess right now Mami, I know how hard these tengu can hit and he hit you in the head.

Mami just let a small smile show.

- I can’t just go in there and sleep when Tomo isn’t back here yet.

Haruna sighed again.

- Well, it’ll start getting dark soon. That arrogant bird-dude said he’d bring Tomo back when night falls, so… - she stopped speaking when she heard Mami chuckle lightly - What’s so funny?

- The way you refer to an ancient master. - the blonde replied honestly - You’re something else, Haruna.

- Come on, I doubt you didn’t think of many bad words to say to that guy after he invaded your house.

- You’re right, I did. I’m not saying you’re wrong in talking about him this way, I just found it funny. - Mami saw an amused smile on the shorter girl’s face as she looked outside now - Your thoughts about him are even better.