Chapter 3

Fae's head felt like it was going to explode. The day had been enlightening, filled with information, and completely draining. She gave Mrs. Albrecht a passing grin and headed straight for her room.

She hadn't been assigned any real homework yet—just introductions to the class and a get-to-know-me worksheet where she was supposed to bear her soul to her psychology professor—as if that would ever happen.

Fae wished she could plop onto her bed and sleep the rest of the day, but she had zero funds and needed a job in a big way. Instead, she dropped her bag on her desk and headed back across campus to the employment center.

Her heart dropped when the saw the sparse listings. Coming in and trying to find a job so late in the game, she may have a hard time getting one.

Cafeteria server...minimum wage. That was no surprise.

Landscape worker...minimum wage and morning work. Yeah, that wouldn't work with her schedule.

Custodial work...minimum wage and late night work. That was a possibility.

Model, working with the Art department...well above minimum wage and the hours vary. Must be willing to pose nude. Nope. Forget it. Not a possibility.

Her eyes remained glued to the per-hour figure. She wouldn't have to work as many hours if she did that job. She'd have more time to study.

No, who was she fooling? She absolutely couldn't do it!

She forced herself to look at the next entry.

Custodial work...bathroom maintenance...minimum wage and late-night work. Bathroom maintenance? What in the world did that mean? Probably plunging stopped up toilets. Ugh!

The rest of the listings were no more appealing than the first.

Fae jotted down the numbers to contact on several possibilities. As a last-minute impulse, she also jotted down the modeling number. Of course, she wouldn't do it. But if all the other jobs didn't pan out...

No! She'd work off campus if she had to. Of course, that may be difficult with no car.

Wandering back to her dorm room, exhaustion nearly overwhelmed her as financial worries plagued her mind. Her thoughts derailed when she approached the door to her room. Water pooled from underneath and inched its way down the hall.

"Hey, Fae!" Morgan smiled as she sauntered up. "Wow, 'hey' rhymes with 'Fae.'" Her smile widened. She slipped in the puddle, and Fae caught her by the arm before she could fall.

Fae frowned. "Looks like our room is flooded."

Morgan's eyes turned to the floor, widening slowly. "Oh, no," she said as she yanked open the door. She splashed through a half an inch of water to get to a large leather case lying on the floor under her bed. "Oh, please don't be wet," she said as she put in on her bed and unzipped it.

"Is that your portfolio?" Fae asked, looking around. Water covered the entire floor. Part of the wall looked soggy, and the paint peeled in a patch where the wall met the ceiling. Looked like a broken pipe. Thank heavens she didn't leave any of her things on the floor.

Her eyes returned to Morgan's, now brimming with tears.

Fae stepped up behind her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you all right?"

Morgan shook her head. "They're ruined. Every drawing and painting I've saved clear back from junior high until now. They're all soaked."