Chapter 22

Standing over Becca's bed, Nick's heart pounded in his chest. This was the moment of truth. Becca slept fitfully as Dr. Rose injected her IV with Fae's blood. Despite the ventilator, Becca's oxygen levels didn't look good.

"I've got the blood infused with a mixture that should eliminate the blood lust."

"I didn't even think about that," Nick said, surprised at his own oversight.

"It's okay," Rose said. "I did. And we're lucky she has the same blood type as Fae, or Becca would have to ingest it."

Nick cringed at the thought. He watched as the red liquid swirled, filling the tube leading to the vein in Becca's arm.

Dr. Rose kept her eyes glued to the monitor as the blood disappeared, entering his sister's body. What was she looking for? An increase in the blood oxygen level? Heart rate?

Minutes ticked by, and nothing changed. A frown settled on the doctor's face along with a heavy dose of disappointment. She stepped out of the room. Nick followed.

"It's not enough," she whispered in the hallway.

Nick's heart sank. "Did you see any change?"

She shook her head. "She won't last long enough for Fae to recover. It'll be two months before the blood in Fae's body is replaced by her own."

Nick swallowed. "Becca doesn't have two months."

Dr. Rose looked up and met his eyes. "Becca doesn't even have a day."

Nick pressed his eyes closed against the burning tears that threatened to fall. Blinking them back, he took a deep breath.

He knew this day had been coming. Becca was at peace. He needed to find the strength to be strong for her. He didn't want her leaving this world worrying about him. She needed to think he would be fine without her.

He was definitely not going to be fine. But for her, he would give a good show.

"The longer we wait," Dr. Rose said, "the longer she suffers. She's already in a tremendous amount of pain. The sooner you let her go, the sooner she can be free of her suffering."

Nick nodded. "I need to talk to her first."

"Of course," Dr. Rose said, and Nick stepped back into the room.

Pulling a chair to Becca's bedside, he sat down. Weariness and misery engulfed him. Leaning forward, he lay down beside her and stroked her hair, like he'd done countless times before. When she was five, this was how he'd kept the monsters hiding under her bed away. In her young mind, his presence alone was enough to scare them off.

He couldn't keep the monsters away anymore.

Becca's eyes blinked open.

"Hey, squirt," he said softly.

A weak smile pulled at the corners of her mouth.

He looked down at his baby sister, and tears burned his eyes. One spilled down over his cheek.

Becca squeezed her eyes shut and then opened them, only to shut them again. When her eyes opened again, she looked agitated. She blinked twice once more, ending with an intense look on her face.

"What?" Nick said, his voice strained. "You don't want me to cry?"

She blinked once. Yes.

"You know what time it is, right?"

Yes.

"Sorry, baby sister," Nick said, another tear breaking free and trailing down his cheek. "You're dying. Your big brother is going to cry."