SIX:

The next day at school was a weird one.

Me and Ezra were together and Bethany and him had to do the dreaded "break-up talk". News of their break-up spread through the school like wildfire.

So naturally, I was also the talk of the town.

I got nasty looks in the hallways. Others looked at me with respect.

They all thought I stole Ezra from a popular girl. But, on the contrary, I didn't steal. Me and Ezra just fell in love.

As simple as that.

Unfortunately, not everyone saw it that way. Bethany for one didn't.

When I came out of school that day I saw her coming at me like a hurricane. She looked furious. What's more, she looked like she was going to murder me.

"What do you think you're doing? Huh? You slut! How dare you touch what's mine? You think that going up against me is a good thing? Huh?" She shouted at me, her tone telling me she is just about ready to grab me by the throat.

Needless to say, I was scared. Rumor has it Bethany does kickboxing on the side.

Me? I did the occasional Nothing!

"Bethany, calm down. It's not what you think." I quickly came to my defense.

"Then what is it? What's your name anyway? Astrid? Beth? Oh, right. It's Anna. The nobody he's best friends with. Well, guess what Nobody! You ruined him. I was going to give him status. Status he doesn't get with you. And now, you ruined that!" She shouted at me again.

"Bethany, let me just say, giving someone status and loving someone is two different things. I have loved Ezra for ten years. I think I deserve to have him more than you."

"Love? Love doesn't mean squat, Anna. Let me tell you I'm going to get you. I'm going to come at you like nothing before. You think it's over just because you got the guy?" She snorted. "Oh, it's far from over."

She struts away just then like she's queen of England and all that was left of our encounter was the "click clack" of her stiletto shoes.

***

When I came home, Ezra was in front of my door. He was clutching a bouquet of flowers in his hands, looking completely sweet.

I texted him on the way from school, telling him what happened with Bethany and he told me he would be right over.

He certainly didn't joke.

Without hesitation he stood up and enveloped me in a hug.

"I'm sorry this happened Annie." He said and I started sniffing. For some reason, I was scared at what she can do. And not just that. Some of the words she said were unbelievably hurtful.

"I guess its fine. She just really scared me. I honestly can't believe she was such a bitch towards me."

"Hey, hey. No need to be mean. Let's just remember that you're at fault too. You did go into a relationship knowing I was in a relationship with her. I would say that she has a right to be mad at you."

"She threatened me Ezra! That's not justified." I said, suddenly infuriated.

"I know it's not. But, my point stands. We both did something we weren't supposed to do. I should've broken up with her before I came to you, knowingly cheating on her." He says with a grim look on his face.

"Then she should be threatening you! Not me. You're the main guilty party and she didn't say squat to you! It's not fair to target me for your crimes."

"Now don't start blaming me, Annie. You're just as guilty as me. You never told me you were in love with me. And then when I come a knockin' at your door you accept me and then you kissed me back! In her eyes, that's just as much injustice." He argued.

"How was I ever supposed to know you felt the same? You could've told me that you had feeling for me too!" I said, arguing back.

"Annie..." He said, exasperated.

"You know what Ezra, just leave. I don't want to see your face right now." I say, exasperated too and when he comes closer to me with a pleading look in his eyes I held my hands up.

"Don't. Just leave, Ezra."

***

Needless to say I felt horrible. That night I couldn't sleep and I knew that what I did was unbelievably wrong on so many levels. Especially, since I saw Ezra's point. I was just mad that he would voice it out loud. I was mad that he spoke the truth.

I knew that it was my fault too. I did so much wrong and I knew that I had to act on my feelings. But, Ezra never seemed interested to me.

So I could only do one thing.

I needed to leave to go to him. I need to see him, even if it was late.

***

The whole ride there I played the same speech over and over in my head, making sure I got every word right. I needed him to know that I was sorry. I needed desperately for him to know that it was my pride that got in the way and it won't happen again.

I knew that one word that I said could make or break the relationship.

So I drove until I reached his house.

But, when I came to a standstill in his driveway I saw it.

Tears sprang to my eyes and for a moment I couldn't breathe. My heart almost stood still in my chest and the pain I was feeling almost made me double over to crawl into a ball and just cry until my tear ducts were dry.

I felt my breathing getting heavier and I knew that I was having a panic attack.

It didn't end.

Because, in front of the Browns' house was Bethany. And she was kissing the love of my life.

**********************************************************************

A/N:

Song is Alan Walker's Force.