Chapter 4

"You're so fucking fat."

Emery shoved me, hard. "Just because I can eat four times the amount of food as a normal human being, that doesn't make me fat. Plus, you gotta admit those burritos were lit."

"I think my arm's gonna bruise."

After the grand tour of the dorm, we headed out to find our classes. We kinda got lost, and we gave up looking for the lecture halls where half of our classes took place. We could always find it later, she assured me.

Instead of mindlessly wandering, we went to this park that always has a bunch of food trucks parked there. Even though I've lived here all my life, I'd never been here; however, Emery claimed to be an expert, so I had no choice but to follow along.

There were massive lines everywhere, so we split up to cover the most area. When we met back up, Em had ended up hitting three food trucks in the time it took me to go to one. She met me back in line at the burrito vendor. I'm not really sure how she managed to do all this, considering all the lines were pretty much the same length. That hoe probably convinced some idiots to let her cut. More power to her, I suppose.

And boy was she a fast eater. By the time we got back to our dorm building, she only had one thing left to finish: a grilled cheese. I had gotten a burrito and empanadas, but she stole half of them. I was still full because the burrito was massive.

We waved to a couple of familiar faces in the hall as we trudged up all four floors to our dorm. At least doing all these stairs might help me get in a shape a little bit, especially if we ended up eating like this every week.

Sighing as I entered the room, Emery threw down all her garbage and food on my desk. This bitch. I was ready to fight her.

She only laughed when she saw how pissed I was and chucked the trash in the nearby bin. "You can have the rest of the grilled cheese, I'm kinda full." She said patting her still flat stomach that was clad in a white, form-fitting crop top. How was that even possible? My food baby was already prevalent, and I had eaten a fourth of what she did.

"That's a surprise," I muttered as her attention was turned to her phone. She plopped herself down on the edge of her bed. I plugged my laptop into its charger and turned it on. According to my schedule, my first class was in three days. What would I be doing until then? I definitely ruled out partying, that was the very thing I've been trying to get away from the past three years.

I went to look back at Emery, thinking she was still scanning her phone. You could imagine my surprise when she was hovering above my shoulder. I let out a yelp, followed by some colorful profanity. She chuckled as she tried to find out what I was looking at. Seeing that it wasn't anything important, she swiftly closed it. I barely managed to retract my hands before they were crushed between my keyboard and screen.

"What the hell was that for? Yahoo answers can be very informative, you know."

"Yeah, sure Lo. So what's up with you and Lucy?"

"What?"

"You. Heard. Me." she said clapping her hands between each word.

I considered telling her everything. No one really knew how I felt, not even my parents. They just thought she got in with the wrong crowd at school, which was true, but it wasn't the whole story. I had convinced them that she was doing drugs and partying all the time; I may have embellished some details. They never really asked about her after that to my relief. The only other people who knew was my ex, Camila, and some of our old friends.

"Okay. So like I told you, we used to be best friends." I felt like I could trust Emery even though we had only met that morning. She was probably one of my closest friends already, especially here. A decent amount of people from my high school went the U, but they were just acquaintances. I don't doubt that they've "forgotten" about me at this point.