Chapter 14

A/N: Thanks for all the votes and comments, y'all are amazing. 

-

My hands flew across the keyboard with an unfound determination that decided to make itself apparent today of all days. The keen tapping of the keys blocked out everything and everyone as I desperately tried to get everything down before Professor Elm changed slides.

I was about a half an hour late to Philosophy, too preoccupied in sketching my first drawing in nearly two years. The feeling of the smooth graphite over the paper was familiar yet foreign, like rehashing nostalgic memories with an old friend. It brought me back to years ago when school drama and homework were my biggest problems. And in some ways, I suppose, it was still like that.

After rushing out of the building and running to class--the most exercise I had done in the past year combined--I burst through the top doors of the lecture hall, causing a minor commotion in the rear of the building, though most people chose to ignore me. I settled in the closest empty seat, which just so happened to be the last person I expected to show up to class.

After class was dismissed, Vero stood next to me with an overly cheery grin on her face, a hint of amusement playing in her eyes. She looked uncharacteristically studious, her minimally made up face was obscured by black-rimmed glasses that reflected the lights. She dressed like she was ready for a job interview. Oxford shirt, dark pants.

"Lauren!"

"Oh, hey," I said, too distracted to be surprised as I was shoving the last of my things into my tiny backpack, making a mental reminder to buy a bigger one.

"Jeez, don't act too excited to see me."

I looked at her apologetically. "Sorry. Vero, it's just so great to see you! How's the family?" My cheeks hurt from the exaggerated smile I sent her. Immediately, I wrapped her up in a snug embrace.

She swiftly tugged me off of her after I latched on, a quiet chuckle escaping her lips. "That's better. I'm gonna expect that kind of greeting every time I see you."

"Sure thing."

"So, that was quite the entrance earlier," she remarked lightly, smoothly changing the subject. "Who knew Ms. 4.0 would be late to class?"

"5.0," I corrected her, and she rolled her eyes. "Who knew you even went to class?" My tone was harsher than intended. Taking everything in stride, her infectious smile only grew wider as her head tilted slightly, gaze averted.

"I usually don't. Just moved to this class, that's probably why you haven't seen me around. The 10 a.m. one was too early for me."

"That explains. Anyway, could I maybe get the notes for the first half, since, you know..." It pained me to admit that I had been late.

She burst into laughter like I was trying to be funny. The last of the other students had shuffled out by then, leaving only the two of us in the hall, and our professor who would probably kick us out very promptly, especially if we continued to listlessly converse like this.

Regaining her composure, she looked me straight in the eye, serious. "Do you wanna know the last time I actually took notes for class?"

My face scrunched up, deep in thought. "That seems like a trick question."

"Well, now I'm offended."

"You jus--"

"Relax," she drew out the last syllable dramatically, "I was playing with you. Now get your slow ass moving, we don't have all day."

I heaved my bulky bag onto my back. It bulged in weird places, stretching unnaturally to compensate for my laptop and binders, and it didn't hesitate to punish me with thin straps that dug into my shoulders uncomfortably.